• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Bayonet again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasilikilt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello forum

I thought I posted this already, but I'll try it again.

I have an Indian made bayonet which I bought from Track of the Wolf.
The only thing wrong with it is that it's VERY loose and the rattle drives me NUTS.

I have the idea of cutting down the length of the socket to remove enough metal to take out the slop and then weld it back together.

Would this work?

One concern I have is that the Indian metal might be of poor quality and might not withstand the heat produced by welding. and else I don't want it to would melt/warp or do something else to ruin my bayonet.

I would really appreciate any advice or information that might help.

Thanks

Iain

Click on your username on the top left of your post, then click on posts by this user, and poof, about 3 entries down is your original question about loose Bess bayonets.
I appreciated that question, because I expect to get a bayonet for my Jap bess and expect it will be sloppy also, so I'll have some ideas on how to snug it up.

yes u did [url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...?tid/209369/post/442110/hl//fromsearch/1[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Fellas

I do remember the previous post. I was thinking then that making a sleeve inside the socket would do the trick.

Now I am wondering if the cutting and welding method would be a better idea.

I had already written a post this morning saying pretty much the same thing, just didn't know if it got sent or not.

Thanks again for the feedback

Adding a piece of brass shim stock, or even building up with a bit of soft solder to the inside would be easier than cutting and welding and re-cutting.

I know a re-enactor who placed his into a vise and squeezed it to egg it which made it snug. Not the finest bit of work, but it ceased to rattle.

I had the opposite problem and had to do a lot of file work to get mine to fit. The lug slots were not cut deeply enough to lock the bayonet into place.

CS

I tried using some old lead flashing to take up the slack on the inside. It was too thick, and I couldn't fit it on the barrel!

My freind's father in law is the type of guy who welds for the love of welding.
I was told that he messes around by welding bits of coffee cans together

That's one reason why I was opting for the welding solution

I also tried squeezing the socket in a vise

My vise is way too wimpy to make it budge!

Good idea though!

hammer out the lead, use a piece of flat or even the sidewalk if no anvil at hand.

oh, does ur vise have an anvil attached to it?

Brasilikilt said:
I also tried squeezing the socket in a vise

My vise is way too wimpy to make it budge!

Good idea though!

Bring it down to Mizippy an I'll let ya squeeze it in my 6 inch Wilton. You can beat on that puppy with a sledge hammer and not hurt it. :thumbsup:

Back