• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bronze Gonne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, gang.

I was going for bronze since I thought it would be neat and also corrosion resistance. There is a historic specimen I had in mind of approx. .54 caliber that I thought would be really cool to have in the original bronze alloy. I have several .54 caliber black powder guns, and sharing the same caliber would be cool, and very cool since it was the original caliber for the handgonne.

I guess now though, that most contemporary makers of the arcane and incredibly obsolete handgonne prefer to use steel.

Hi Earl,
On page 58 of Sean McLachlan's "Medieval Handgonnes" is a picture of a very nice cast brass (not bronze) Danish handgonne from the late 1400s or early 1500s. Brass is strong and very corrosion resistant. In T. F. Tout's excellent monograph "Firearms in England in the Fourteenth Century" he includes period descriptions of guns being made of "cuprum" which was a term used for both brass and bronze. Indeed, modern archaeologists use the term "copper alloy" because the makeup of so many brass and bronze artifacts is a mixture of many alloys with many impurities. Anyway, brass was used for gonnes as well as bronze. Steel was almost certainly never used because it was very difficult to make before the 18th century. In fact, steel did not become cheap until the bessemer process was invented in the 19th century and it was as valuable as silver before production became cheap. Ferrous handgonnes were made of iron not steel. Consequently, I doubt anyone today is making handgonnes of iron but rather mild steel. So either way, you are not going to get a "period correct" alloy.

dave

I know. But if you're looking for the Tannenberg in particular, there are exact replicas out there that you can find on the auction sites occasionally. They were made a long time ago but they pop up now and then. I have one.

Some Dudes head . According to long held belief that Dude is Jesus !

The gun is covered with script ,long thought to be the Ava Marina Catholic prayer .

A freind has reinterpeted the script and says it has nothing to with the Catholic prayer.

For more on his theory look up Morko Cold Case file online.

Ah, Jesus! Kind of looks like Jesus. :D

It has a real neat look to it. What kind of tiller do you have on it? I sure would like one of these, talk about a work of art. Looks way more interesting than just a turned pipe like most repro handgonnes.

I don't know how long ago that builders link was made but the prices indicate it must have been some time ago.

It says they will sell you a recreation of a 1728 Longland Pattern Musket for 375 Pounds.

That would be around $500 in US money.

The line forms at the rear.

"I'll take 3 of them." :grin:

Web page said “updated 02/03/2016” and “the barrels are tubing”

William Alexander

Gunmetal is the bronze alloy traditionally used for cannons
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunmetal

A place like online metals usually has round bar stock in this alloy

I have found two different sources for turning the barrels both said they would when they had some time but I been waiting a year

Last edited by a moderator:
Back