• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breaking in new gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal b

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished CVA Kentucky rifle kit 50 cal.. What would be a good load to start with for the first few shots? How about 50 grains fff 490 round ball pillow ticking patch 0.16-0.18 thick. Waiting for the rain to stop so i can shot it. I know the rules you all want pics. but camera broke :( will get pic later.

neal (50 cal)

1 grain per caliber, ie: 50 grains/ 50 caliber is where to start. You may want to swab the barrel after every shot to start with and it may take a few dozen shots for your rifle to settle in but someone has got to do it. :wink:

Use a good degreaser on it before you go out. Engine degreaser, carb cleaner, breakcleaner. They all work good. If you shoot it without getting the residual grease and oil out of the bore it will cook it into a nasty tar. :shocked2:

I always start with a variety of patch material and two sizes of balls.

That's pretty much where I started out with my .50 rifle, except I used 2F. You should do fine with that.

Back