• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brass spots and tacks on a knife sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
heres some attempts i made using brass tacks and solid brass spots. the first sheath is mine for my large, nearly 15 inch butcher, copied from an early plains style illustrated in muzzleloader mag in a rex norman article. it has buckskin fringe and all the thongs, drops, and hanging strap are buckskin. the drops have brass and mustard yellow glass trade beads. it is sewn together with linen thread. i used 1/8th spots along the stitching line and 1/8th and 3/16th spots on the drops. this stye sheath, according to the article, is an early plains style. figured itd go good with my repaired handle butcher. its my first true reproduction of a historical peice.
plainssheath.jpg
[/img]
next is a basic skinner sheath with a welt and held together with bent over tacks. the tacks are 1/4 inch and have steel shanks.
100_2520.jpg
[/img]

last is my latest hawk. it has the 1/4 inch tacks in a row and some small brass nails on the handle.
100_2521.jpg
[/img]

both sheaths are made from 4 ounce cowhide and i stained them with feibings dark brown around the edges and then a coat of their antique mahognay finish.

WOW nice job , the brass spots look realy nice and the mustard yellow beads add a nice touch :hatsoff:

thanks for the compliments guys. thought id try a bit of a different approach to my usual sheath making. ive settled on the 1800-1840 time to try and refine my gear and the extras i make.

Back