• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder Rifles Classification?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dispatch

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've researched this subject but keep getting conflicting input.
What are black powder rifles graded as in the US governments firearms classification? :idunno:

You know I looked on the ATF website but somehow missed that page. :doh:

Yes that is the BATFE's interpretation, but certain states consider them firearms, so you need to do your research. Almost every place considers them a deadly weapon, so don't take them some place you shouldn't.

The question gets somewhat blurry when you have a build going on. At what point in the construction is it a gun (but not legally a firearm according to ATF)? Fully built but without the touch hole drilled? Just to be safe, I teat it like a gun when the casual passer by seeing it would think of it as a gun if it were pointed at something.

Its doesn't specify, does it matter if its an original or reproduction?

The Federal interpretation is the gun can be either an original or a reproduction of the original.

State or City regulations often classify any gun that can shoot a projectile is the same as the most modern gun.

That's why, when I put several of the long-rifles I have built on display at a Public Senior Center, I removed the nipples from the percussion guns and installed solid vent liners in the flintlocks.

It turned out that no officials checked the guns but I wasn't taking any chances that I would be bringing a "firearm" into a Public building illegally.

By the way, Arizona considers all black powder guns to be "Firearms" so if anyone is prohibited from owning a "Firearm", the law applies to them too.

According to the folks in Annapolis... a muzzleloading gun, original or a copy of an original, is legally an antique firearm, so long as the ingnition system is the same as the antique, so caplock (sidelock), underhammer, box lock, flintlock, matchlock, wheellock are all antiques, AND the laws where I am prohibit "firearms" in many places, which are not legally the same as "antique firearms".

So, for a bit in the 1990's, bad guys were out stealing cap-n-ball revolvers in burglaries and then using them in robberies, but avoiding "armed robbery with a handgun" charges which hold a heavy penalty. BP guns were considered a "dangerous and deadly device". They finally tightened up the law so if you rob somebody with a Remington 1858 ... it's now robbery with a handgun.

OH and those modern "in-things" used to cheat during muzzleloader hunting season are also considered "firearms" as they aren't copies of original antiques. So for a while guys were getting jammed-up by transporting them to and from the hunting area loaded but without the primer inserted...not realizing that this was still a "loaded" firearm, and when they got stopped by DNR...ooops. Now the law says if you're unprimed, uncapped, or without the primer installed.... you're "unloaded".

And under the law, for a while it would've been legal to hunt in several municipal parks for the geniuses who wrote the laws prohibited hunting with firearms and bows... but said nothing about hunting with antique firearms.

Ever Wonder why my state is called The People's Republic of Maryland??? The place is very anti-gun, and a courageous fellow named Raleigh Boze (sp?) kept taking his flintlock into schools with principal's permission, and kept getting arrested, but the state would always drop the charges to keep from having a judge rule that the law actually says what it says, and he was not in violation... they finally fixed it so it's up to a principal to allow "antique" firearms into the school for a guest lecture or not.

LD

Dispatch said:
Its doesn't specify, does it matter if its an original or reproduction?
It does specify...

any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A)

Back