• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess that there were production changes over the time the Bobcat was produced that account for the difference between our guns.
The CVA Squirrel rifle is an entirely different class of rifle than the Bobcat. The Bobcat gets called a "Squirrel" rifle today, but it really isn't even close to the old gun.

hey runner,

thanks for your feedback. did you just not get into the revolvers or didnt have luck with them or what? also, what is your definition of an "old fashioned meat shoot" i have been to what we call spot shoots with shotguns. where we all take one shot at a time and try to get as close as we can to the dead center on the dot on the paper target. and the winner from each round got choice of ham, sausage , or bacon. then we would have a handful of the big prize where we shot for a extra large turkey. i am presuming that your shoot is similar. if not , please explain.

duke21

How you thought about having your dealer call Deer Creek and see what kind of deal he can get?That might help you both out, just a thought. I had the Black Squirrel and sold it, didn't like it much. The Crockett is a real keeper about a 3 shot clover at 35 yards. Cheap to shoot to top it all off. Good Luck..

hey peashooter. i kinda think thats how this whole darned thing started. i called the dealer i wanted to buy from. he had nothing that size in stock. he started telling me about a mule ear gun then the crocket and finally the squirrel. i think he may have been buying through tradions or deer creek or? It really doesnt matter. Money is tight, but i still believe good service is worth something ,and this man has spent quite a bit of time with me. he is a little higher than deer creek, but again, i dont mind paying a little because he has helped me and been patient. my big problem was, i havent been able to drive the hour to see him, and he doesnt have a catalog to send out, so i really had no idea what a " black squirrel was, or mule ear. I had seen the crockett and it looked sweet, just a bit out of my budget.

by the way, you still wanting that lyman. i am calling in the morning, if i dont want it, i can pick it up for you if you want at my cost.

i am really tearing myself up debating on the revolver in 36, that new old army , or one of these long rifles. I just dont want to waste my money.

duke21

The meat shoot is kind of different. You cut five X's on a board with a razor blade. You post a target of your choice ands take your sighters. This is 30 yards off the bench. Your job is to do everything the same way each time. Your spotter puts your target on the board with the area where your balls are hitting over one of the X's. If you shoot the same way each time, you should hit several of the X's. At the end of the shoot they put a slug in the holes on the boards that are in the running. They cut the X's across the slugs and then measure to see who is closest to center. The winner the last time I shot was close enough that it would have been hard to have drilled that hole as perfectly as he hit it. I was a couple of thousanths off. They allow shaders and cheaters for that shoot. The entry fees are taken over to the butcher shop and they buy what they can with however much money there is. At the end, first picks first and so on. That match is held behind the DEW DROP INN right in the middle of the small town. I have seen over 70 shooters there at times. It is a fun visit/shoot/gathering.
The revolvers are fun, but they just have little purpose for me. Shooting them is great, but they are not really hunting tools. They ended up in a drawer sitting.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back