• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bit the Bullet - 1803 Harpers Ferry Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the last ten years, I've fought with the Euroarms version (sold it years ago) and I now have a Zoli. I converted it to percussion, but I could never get the thing to group with the Zoli barrel. Thought I'd try percussion conversion and Minies. No luck there either. I decided to re-convert it back to flint. The Zoli is now a .54 cal, as I had Hoyt reline the barrel and installed an L&R Lock in it. It looks good and groups ok now, but the lock was not an exact replacement and some creative woodworking masks it pretty well. Still not satisfied completely though.

With that said, I have decided to build my own. I called Colerain and got a barrel ordered, then ordered all the parts that Track of the Wolf had in stock. Some items were not available, but I got the remaining pieces ordered this morning from The Rifle Shoppe. Only thing I will be waiting on is the Buttplate. Lady at The Rifle Shoppe said it should be available in a few weeks. I hope so.

As soon as the stuff I ordered this morning comes in, I plan to get started. I want to take my time and do this right. The last complete rifle I built from parts like this was an Ohio Vincent rifle in Flintlock, a .32 caliber. That was twenty-five years ago. I wish I still had that Vincent, but I let someone talk me out of it many years ago. My plan is that I'll continue to shoot the Zoli as I build this new one. If any of ya'll have experience and suggestions on the 1803 Harpers Ferry Build, I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

You want the hollowed out under rib as that will lighten feel and help with the hang. My 1803 has the round bottom Colerain barrel. Its very accurate. The breech plug in the Colerain barrel may be a bit long so adjustments may have to be made to shorten the length of the breech plug and take a few threads off the barrel breech so the fence on the lock lines up at the end of the barrel. Of course its fine if the fence is forward a bit, but you do want to avoid notching the breech plug unless there is no other choice because the stock is pre-inlet for the lock.

You should be able to do a search on the Forum to find pictures of my 1803 Harper's Ferry. Mine was a Track Kit Special Project. That meant the parts were Rifle Shop parts, I think they are using Davis locks and their own hardware. Your mix of parts should work okay.

Love to hear about your build.

Back