• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Horns to work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a couple of horns in progress and both are big horns, huge diameter- 3 and 1/4 to 3 and 1/2" wide at the plug end, but not too long- 14-16" along the curve. This makes for a stout look. I might try to elongate them by adding threaded spouts but I lack a lathe and this would be new ground for me. These will be "supply" or "artillery" horns I guess. The amber/green one can be scrimmed, but the other just has too much black. I'll keep you posted. if you have ideas for these big, "2 pounds of powder" horns, let me know.
Bighorns.jpg
bigtandydiameter.jpg
bighorndiameter.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pics but they look to be fine to make into flat horns. Mark Odel did an article on this in one of the bucksking books put out by Scurlock. I have one of these and they are nice to carry. The flat sides lend them to be decorated nicely. Good luck.
as usual,
Spot

That's certainly not too big for a horn from the French & Indian War Period! I have two original horns in my collection from this Period, both large, and both carried as individual horns. One is 3.25 inches on the large end with a length of 16 inches around the curve. The other one, from Hacker Martin's Collection, is 3.12 inches and 17 inches around the curve. Your horns would be very proper and correct for this time period :thumbsup:

Back