• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big bore flint pistol???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to buy a big bore flintlock.I looked at middlesex trade co. but dont see the bore size listed with the guns.What do you have or who makes one???I am thinking .69 cal. or bigger....
J.J.

Why do you want one of these? They are very heavy, usually smoothbore, and can be anywhere from 62 to 75 caliber. Often the frizzens are not properly hardened for actual use. These are often made and sold to be expensive wall hangers. They have no sights, so they are almost impossible to use in any competition. The trigger pulls can be monstrous, too ! You could spend your money better on something else. But, first tell us why you want it. Once we know what purpose you are going to make of it, we can be of better help.

Any more questions and you'll need to send him a form. Maybe he just wants a big old pistol. The Towers like Dixie sold needed the frizzen hardened but I don't think they were out and out dangerous, if that's where you're going.

RedFeather

Well, I would just like to have a big bore smooth bore pistol.My persona is of a pirate.I am building myself a 4 bore blunderbuss right now and I already have a .75 cal. yeager rifle with skull and cross-bone inlays on it.I dont need a big bore pistol, but I would like to have one to stick in my sash along with my cutlass... I can harden a frizzen and I plan on customizing it or antiquing it some anyways...I could do like Black-beard and have a sash full of pistols.... :)
J.J.

Hi Jack. Middlesex Village Trading, Military Heritage, and Loyalist Arms and Repairs all have smooth bore flint pistols. I too have a pirate outfit. I use the 1757 Heavy Dragoon Pistol I bought from Middlesex. Works fine. Loyalist Arms has a plain doglock pistol which might be good for a pirate pistol? All three of the above have Web-Sites. What type of cutlass do you use? Rick.

Call Jack Garner at TVM (Tennessee Valley Manufactuing). He built me a .75 colonial flint pistol out of quality parts for a reasonable price. You can not go wrong with the quality of his stuff. He is a gentleman and honest as the day is long. I just bought a finished blunderbuss from him. He quoted me a price and built it. Turns out he made a mistake and sold it at the "in the white" price instead of finished. I offered to make up the difference in price. He wouldn't hear of it. I insisted and he flatly refused to take the extra money to finish it. He finished it at the original price. Enough said for the honesty and integrety of this man. First class!

Patriot

I just finished a book on pirates. Some of the captains carried a pair of pistols by tying a ribbon to the butt of each and draping the ribbon around the neck when getting ready for action. Quicker than drawing from a sash or belt with the big loose clothes. "Under the Black Flag" by David Cordingly. He was curator and head of exhibitions at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England.

I started my own with a block of wood that I won in a raffle, a Queene Anne lock, and a barrel from MBS. I call mine a Dragoon cuz I aint much for being on the ocean. It's gots sharks and sea monsters, it does! :shocked2:

Dragoon_007.jpg

I want a large smooth-bore pistol as well. It has not come to the top of my list but it will. I just think it would be fun to shoot. I am not a pirate or anything.

Somewhere around here is an 18 inch muzzle section of .75 Bess barrel. Looks like it'd make you a good pistola barrel with a little finagling for a breech plug! Still has the bayonet stud!! Now there's 'repell boarders' widgit for you!!! :rotf:

xmeinwhitey2.jpg

Ya need ah biggie ta handle the wildlife around these parts! :thumbsup:

Davy

I am looking for somethinmg along the lines of a British Sea Service pistol of the napoleonic wars era. I don't want to put money in it so it doesn't have to be exact. A Tower pistol would do. I suspect the British Navy carried a rathe miscellaneous lot of pistols in any case.

unspellable: Look up the three suppliers I mention in this thread, above. They carry the two versions of the British Sea Service Pistol. They all have Web-Sites. The pistols are about $300.00.

Roy----------They've been calling me Evil Roy for 30 years, I'm surprised they haven't hung the moniker on you too.

Davy--------Over on the SASS Wire they generally refer to black powder use as "the dark side". There are a lot of people who think black powder is evil stuff!

Evil Roy said:
Roy----------They've been calling me Evil Roy for 30 years, I'm surprised they haven't hung the moniker on you too.

Naw, I'm just a Roy. Been called worse than Evil though. :shocked2:

RedFeather said:
Maybe he just wants a big old pistol. The Towers like Dixie sold needed the frizzen hardened but I don't think they were out and out dangerous, if that's where you're going.RedFeather
I still shoot a DIXIE "Tower" flinter .67 caliber I built from their kit back in the late 70's. I must have gotten lucky because it's always sparked well withit's original frizzen!! I cut the barrel down to 8" and installed a large wood rammer with a shotgun tip for ramming wads. And I added a belt hook to carry it with. Mine looks about the same as the British Short Sea Service pistol that MVTC sells. Okay, with a short barrel .67 smoothbore it's hard to hit anything beyond 7 yards wiht a roundball....but that's pistol range as far as I'm concerned. I could put a large hole in someone's chest if need be at 5-10 yards with it.
I built it primarily to shoot 1 1/8 ounce of #5 shot. And at 7 yards it'll blast a lot of holes through both sides of an old GEOX powder can...or a snake.
If you want a 25 yard target pistol for hammering oversize balls down the bore to make nice groups on paper, there are plenty out there. But for pure blast'em-up fun, something like the doglock or sea service pistols are the ticket....whoo-hoo!!
Jack

Back