• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bedroll basics, circa 1812 or so

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just guessing here, but an oilskin or treated canvas cover and one to three folded wool blankets stitched bottom and part way up should be about right, eh? Probably a treated ground cloth to go under?

One oil cloth, one blanket. Lay the oil cloth down, lay the blanket on it. You lay on the blanket. Pull the other half of the blanket over you. Pull the other half of the oil skin over you.
Now you are covered and protected top and bottom.

Actually, you can make your ground cloth a bit longer and use a stick, stake or bayonet to lift the top outer corner and you have a simple tent of sorts. Allows you to breathe while keeping rain off of your head. I have a buddy in my RevWar group who showed me this when we were campaigning. I made a normal sized ground cloth for normal packing about and the larger is used only for campaigning.

As to packing, you should decide whether you are making a knapsack or a tumpline. Either way, the ground cloth should be used to keep your blanket dry.

CS

Back