• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Grease for Bullet Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuntAway

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was planning on using bear grease for a bullet lube. The only problem was that it goes to a liquid as soon as I touch it. Kind of hard to get any on the bullet.

So I stuck it in the freezer for a bit but that didn't work too well either. I managed to lube some up with some Wonder Lube that way but the bear grease just melts away quickly.

Any ideas to thicken it up... or at least raise its viscosity so that it will stick to a bullet?

Thanks

HA

As others said a 50/50 mix of bear oil/beeswax is a good start although I find that to be to stiff of a mix. Also you might want try to get some deer fat if you can at some point and substitute that for the beeswax. I find the deer tallow a much better ingredient than beeswax. This is what I do for patch lube for hunting, you probably would want a slightly stiffer mix for conicals but this mix will work. :thumbsup:
http://nimrodsplace.com/nerifle22.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Bee's wax it is!!! Thanks all.

Swampy the deer fat will have to wait till next fall. We're all done hunting here and the deer I got this year got cleaned up pretty well.

Do you render it down before using it?

HA

Swampy said:
As others said a 50/50 mix of bear oil/beeswax is a good start although I find that to be to stiff of a mix. Also you might want try to get some deer fat if you can at some point and substitute that for the beeswax. I find the deer tallow a much better ingredient than beeswax. This is what I do for patch lube for hunting, you probably would want a slightly stiffer mix for conicals but this mix will work. :thumbsup:

Swampy, do you use the fat from just the inside of the deer or will any work?

Any fat will work. The deer I took the fat from in the pics gave me 20 lbs, a big Doe that just packed it on that year. Theres 4 lbs I took from inside and both hams gave me about 16 lbs. I've heard say that the very best bear fat for oil is that that lays inside around the kidneys and such. It does have a different feel than other fat on the animal, so I don't know for certain but wouldn't be surprised if the best fat on a deer is the same inside the gut area but bear fat and deer fat are two different animals. You can render an oil from bear but deer gives you a tallow so I'm not sure you can in fact tell whats best on a deer. :idunno:

I think they call the fat on the inside by the kidneys and loin, Suet.

Well, I stopped at the health food store on my way home from work this evening. They were the only one around who had any beeswax. (got to do some internet shopping for some cheaper wax) .
So I picked up a 1/3 pound block added about the same of rendered bear fat and Voila! my very first bullet / patch lube.

BearFatBeeswaxBulletLube.jpg

Thanks for your help fella's!!! :hatsoff:

HA

Groundhog,skunk also stay liquid. I used groundhog and beewax for 20 some years. Only used the bear for patching when I went to shoots. I now use deer tallow for patching as it doesn't get thin in hot weather. When I was shooting max-balls I would put them in the freezer, heat up beeswax, then dip the m-balls in wax. Them being cold got a good coating of wax. You had to keep them next to your body, if they got to cold they would peel of when you went to load them. They made for a fast reload. Dilly

Thanks for that Boar-dilly,

I make a point of keeping some deer fat next fall. If I'm fortunate enough,that is. :wink:

HA

Don't havta be yours, most people throw it away so bug your friends and the local butcher! Before you know it you'll have plenty for lube for years. :thumbsup:

A little Garlic powder helps when you lick it off your fingers, and helps to pre season the venison. :) And helps cover your scent.

Bill

Latest posts

Back