• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Lengths, Ballistics & Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it with all the "lead your barrel" talk at 1000-1200fps? This guy goes to the beat of a different drummer.
Thinking on that leading deal a bit. I can't ever remember cleaning lead out of a revolver I have shot balls in.
Cleaned lots of it out of conical shooting black powder rifles and smokeless revolvers though.
This new Walker may be an enlightening adventure though into what this guy is saying.
I am curious if the Triple seven reacts the same as 3F black in the same guns. I understand the synthetic has the same pressure levels but that doesn't mean the burn rate is the same and it will give the same velocity in the same barrel length. I have several pounds of it I picked up from a lady selling off her dead husbands stuff and will have to give it a test myself.

Last edited:
It was me who made the video. And I can explain both of the points made here. I'm not sure by scientific what you would mean outside of a chronograph reading of comparitive velocity. I clearly said these were self defense loads. By science do you mean that you are still wearing a mask because your covid shots haven't killed you yet?

On the velocity, most likely you have stuck to standard charges, which will generally not lead your barrel. But if you load a Remmy up to snot with 3f Triple Se7en, you will notice that there is lead stuck to the corners of your rifling, if not to the bottom of the groove also. Getting it out is a pain.

It is not the same with BP It is slower, so proportionally more powder burns outside the barrel. But I have to say, even with BP, it can and does tend to eventually become a problem with longer barrel guns, if you are loading them up. If you shoot a lot, over time, some lead will start to stick. On cartridge guns this is even worse, but with those you can always shoot a few jacketed bullets through to clean it out.

All steel is different, and even "pure lead" is different from one lot to the next. So I would not say that there is a specific velocity where you can expect it, but generally it is over supersonic. I don't know if the two are related. It could be that you have not looked closely if you are pushing your loads, and you just wondered why all of a sudden the gun shoots a pattern instead of a group.

On the loading rod, clearly you have not shot 10 stages of a SASS match with a 5 1/2" Marshall '51 navy. And yes, especially on Remmys the pin is very subject to break, and I have broken a few trying to get that last grain of powder to squish and be nice. I am very hard on guns.

My focus on the Black Powder Project is to bring some of these new shooters who have come in since '08 into our fold so that what we enjoy lives on into the future generations. The article accompanying the video generally explains things much better than I do in the video But this was not my best work lol. I retired from GA last year and this was my first contribution to the Digest in a while. Ring rust. I also haven't been around here much, because I buy too many darn guns. -ph

On the loading rod, clearly you have not shot 10 stages of a SASS match with a 5 1/2" Marshall '51 navy
I made this, but you can get one from Slixsprings, the people that make slixshot nipples. They're a handsaver

Attachments

• IMG_20230228_124308.jpg
    IMG_20230228_124308.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back