• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin Halleck value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. My first post here. Perhaps you could lend some advice. A fellow has an Austin Halleck 50cal mountain rifle, flint. In new condition. What would be a 'fair' price to offer him? I've been shooting cap guns and want to try my hand at a flinter. Hope to build my own one day. Thanks for your help.

The early AH rifles were quite good, and even desireable.
The later ones.. the quality control fell off.
It is easy enough to identify the early from the latter. The fit and finish was very good, and parts were better.
The first ram rod thimbles were pinned the latter were screwed to the barrel.
A like new early model is worth $400+ the latter versions, not so.
I do hope this helps a little.
Old Ford

A search of completed gunbroker auctions shows that the ones starting at &399 got bids, the ones starting at $549 didn't. Market price is somewhere in the middle I guess. I have a few new models that fetch $425 for percussion and $475 for flint at gun shows occasionally. If you could pick it up for under $400, I'd say that's probably a pretty fair deal.

I sold a flintlock Mountain rifle A-H a year ago for $445 and it was in excellent condition. A friend has one in the same condition and he wants $475. So there you have it....I sold mine and he is still trying.

I sold mine for $400 and a pound of FFg. They're nice guns, at least the earlier ones were, but I didn't use it after getting my longrifle.

You'll like the Austin Halleck as a first flintlock. The wood on most seemed to be very nice, and they were good guns to learn on.

Although many people on this forum will tell you that their styling is too late to have appeared in flintlock, they are a step up from the CVA, Lyman, or T/C, at least in the looks department, although I'm sure those who love the other three companies will defend the merits of their products as well.

The quality A&H's were built in Weston, Missouri. Later on, they started building them in Utah. Those are the less than quality rifle's IMO. Look on the barrel and it will tell you where it was built. :v

Here's my 2 cents again.
After the information that you got here, is it an early AH, or a latter AH?
Inquireing minds want to know? And how much?
The early AH is a nice piece of Americana.
Just like the Mowrey rifles, and the Numrich, Hopkin & Allen underhammer rifles.
I still have my early underhammer rifles, and also still keep my Mowrey, sadly, I passed up on several fine Austin Halleck rifles, and they are hard to find up here in the Great White North.
Even the latter AH rifles are much nicer than the poor quality Traditions, CVA's.
And if the price is right "GO GET HER BOY!"
We all know, "We can't have enough rifles!"
Old Ford

Again, thanks for the advice. The pics show it to be a real 'purty' rifle. Fellow bought it five years ago, new, from a dealer. He says he's never shot it. It's a 50 cal "mountain" rifle, flinter. I don't think that's an orginal configuration but then all I've shot are cap guns. Problem is, he paid WAY to much for this gun so I am almost embarrassed to offer him the prices you folks are telling me the guns are worth, especially if it's a Utah gun.

Hey Steelerzzz
I feel bad that you got took so bad.
Would ya consider $250 Canadian :grin: :grin: , it may go back up in value ( Canadian dollar, that is)
You got a good buy! Track down the spare parts for your lock, they are a little unusual, but parts are available.
I'm sure some of the guys will key in and identify what you need. Frizzen, spring and main spring, is all you really need.
Best regards
Old Ford

Old Ford...I already tried to find some spare parts...they are as rare as hens teeth.....really!Contrary to what some people have been saying, Traditions does not stock spare parts for them.If you have any sources you would recommend,it would be greatly appreciated!

a Flint Halleck you say??? that would make me WANT it even more!!! I havent seen a flint austin for sale for at least 5 years...
sell your car if ya have to!!

If he paid a heckuva lot more than the standard rifle, he probably got the fancier model with the awesome wood. I think those ran in the $700 range when new. I bought a stack of guns from A&H when they went out of business. The quality on all of them are good, so if the earlier models are even better, go get 'er! :wink:

The A&H .50 in flint that i owned (built in Weston, MO) was the fastest lock i have ever shot. The barrel was excellent. the triggers were okay, but all together it was a helluva shooter - fast and accurate. Wish i still had it!!
The only issue would be the availability of parts.
:v

I sold mine for $400 and a pound of FFg. They're nice guns, at least the earlier ones were, but I didn't use it after getting my longrifle.

You'll like the Austin Halleck as a first flintlock. The wood on most seemed to be very nice, and they were good guns to learn on.

Although many people on this forum will tell you that their styling is too late to have appeared in flintlock, they are a step up from the CVA, Lyman, or T/C, at least in the looks department, although I'm sure those who love the other three companies will defend the merits of their products as well.
I have one built in Weston,it was given to me. Don’t know much about it but I want to know more! It has a synthetic stock and a cap. I broke a nipple and found some. Would like to know the best load to shoot in them. Need some advice

Back