• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin-Halleck Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sarge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a used Austin-Halleck mountain rifle for sale at a gun shop yesterday for $329. It is marked Provo Utah on the top flat. Would you consider this a good price for this rifle, and why is it not marked Weston, Missouri? Rifle is in very good condition. Thanks for the advice in advance. TOM

Hi,
You can't beat the price!
Is fit & finish great or so so, that was the evolvement on the Austin-Halleck.
The early ones were very good, the later ones had quality control with some of them.
You can be the judge.
What caliber? What lock is on it?
The better A-Hs were well known for their fine stocks and good finish for a semi-production gun.
That price really gets me excited!
Fred

If it has been properly taken care of and is in sweet condition, that's a darned good price. The early ones were well made but the later ones.......not so much so. You can tell by looking at it if it is a good one or a later one of less quality. If it is a good one, work on the shop owner and get him to come down some more. It just is never right to pay the asking price if you walk in with government issue green back dollars in your hand. Tell him that at least he needs to pick up the taxes on it and you pay him no more than the tag price out the door. Offer him $300 out the door.

Thanks Old Ford...It is flint and and .50 cal. Barrel and lock brown, and stock appears to be cherry wood. Dark redish brown. How about the Provo Utah. I remember the old ones were Weston, Missouri. I think.

The originals runs were built in Weston MO, but the later ones were built in Provo UT. I believe the Provo versions are Spanish barrels also.

Its what the other guys said, the later versions were some good/some bad. Quality Control was not quite the same in the latter production years.

I have a 50 cal. flinter from Weston that is a great shooter. And I have a 50 cal. Provo caplock I have not shot, with a nice striped stock. It has a 1:28 barrel vs. the 1:66 of my flinter. Not quite sure what to shoot out of it! :confused:

Are the spanish barrels marked as such? Don't want a spanish barrel. It looks great, but, I wonder why the price is low.

Are there any other visible differences between the two rifles other than ignition?

Though I prefer everything be made here in the U.S.A. there's nothing wrong with the Spanish barrels. Though I likely wouldn't buy one "new" buying one off the second had market doesn't hurt the U.S. manufactures.

Spanish barrels are know for accuarcy. Enjoy, J.D.

I build my own and I don't buy production guns, but even I would consider that gun for that money. :wink: Enjoy, J.D.

You had better hustle over to that gun shop. I'm in Pittsburgh right now visiting the in-laws and may beat ya too it! :grin:

Kidding! Well, unless you really aren't interested, then PT me the gunshop info. I can't buy the parts for a build for the price they're asking for that gun.

Enjoy, J.D.

I will let you know soon. I am also from the Pittsburgh area. After I talk to the Sergeant Major (AKA wife)...Might let you know even sooner. Do you live in PGH?

Tom,

Except for ignition, twist and the browning being a tad different shade between the two, everything else is the same.

DSCF1115_zpse7ce9a6d.jpg

And like in an earlier post, the flinter shoots great!

Looks just like the flinter...stock color and all. I always liked them. I just talked to the "boss" and I am still putting band aids over the teeth marks on my butt. Maybe I should have asked her first. It's in the Juniata Trading Post on route 30 just east of Bedford. Looks like this one is not going to happen! :surrender:

You could always put your wedding band for deposit :v
Be sure to tell wifie how pretty and smart she is :redface:
Also how great an investment it is, we will all support you, and send you emails while you are in rehab at the local hospital.
Your good friend! :stir:
Fred

Old Sarge said:
Looks just like the flinter...stock color and all. I always liked them. I just talked to the "boss" and I am still putting band aids over the teeth marks on my butt. Maybe I should have asked her first. It's in the Juniata Trading Post on route 30 just east of Bedford. Looks like this one is not going to happen! :surrender:

I know how that feels.
I throw my hat through the door and walk in backwards. I figure when she is done chewing on my hat she can start on my...

LOL Good advice...gonna have to try that. You know, with the price of band-aids and all. :rotf:

Latest posts

Back