• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arrrgh . . .rust. Please help a newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started shooting ML guns long before Bore Butter or any other such product was produced. I learned to clean with hot soapy water and oil the bore with whatever "gun oil" I happened to have. I never experienced rust nor did I have any of the "petroleum problems" some folks talk about. I did buy into the "seasoned bore" thing and tried T/C nature lube for a while and was shocked to find rusty bores. I switched back to hot soapy water and gun oil and life is good again. :grin:
Anyone can make extravagant claims for their product but most of those products just transfer money from your pocket to theirs. :grin:

I to do as Coyote does and have no problems...Seems everytime I use some miracle products rust appears

After cleaning in warm soapy water, rinsing, and drying, I use Clenzoil. No rust problems at all.

I've always used straight mineral oil after cleaning with cold water and have never had any problems, In the feild I use murphy's and alcahol 50/50 to clean with after shooting and then coat everything with mineral oil this also seem's like a good combo for keeping rust at bay

Chock me up for 100% liquid Ballistol, in the bore, after cleaning with water & ivory soap or Butch's Black Powder solvent. Zero rust, zero storage issues, and I just checked my 50caql Mowrey percussion Plains rifle. It had been in storage for 3-weeks shy of a year (haven't shot it since I bought the flint smoothie ;) ) and it was perfect!

I agree with you Joe! Warm soapy water, dry good and I use a good lubricating gun oil, like Hoppe's or I use Kano Kroil oil, when the wife is out of town :grin: She hates the smell!

Back