• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Apple butter time is come'n!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked about two bushels of apples from a friends tree. Got them picked while he was away on vacation. __ NO!, Just kidding. Anyway, I have plenty of apples to dry, freeze, make pies etc. One thing scheduled is to make some apple butter. Never made it before, but with the help of a cookbook and YouTube, it looks simple enough to make.

Nothing like buttered biscuits with a nice topping of apple butter! :shocked2:

One of the most fun times with my wife's family. Lots of neighbors came and we stirred way into the night in a brass kittle. Same for lasses time, cutting cane, the old mill press and stirring off over a hot fire with singing ,dancing and kids roasting potatoes in the fire. These times are gone much to my regret.

Understood. = One of the several things that I truly miss about being in WV is the Berkeley Springs Apple Butter Festival.

They close the downtown streets off & cook huge cauldrons of Apple Butter over wood fires in the intersections.

LOTS of antiques to buy, ML events, many truly "purty grrls" & GREAT (featuring local apples) food all over town, too.

yours, satx

Easiest way to make apple butter is to cut up and cook your apples with a bit of water until soft. Drain off any juice that came out of the apples. The juice makes good jelly so don't just toss it out. Run it thru some form of food mill to make your "sauce". Core your apples first if your just going to mash them.

Return your sauce to a heavy bottom pot. Heat and simmer slowly until it reduces to your desired butter consistency. Add your sugar to taste and whatever spices you desire. I usually add cinnamon, nutmeg, and a bit of allspice.

Don't add the sugar or spices before you cook it down. The flavor will intensify and might be unpleasant to your taste.

Can if desired, or just cool and eat!!

I ordered and received one of those new ( not really a new invention) fangled apple peeler, corer and slicers! Price wasn't bad either, $21.00 plus shipping, but you can find them locally in your area. ___ WOW! I recommend for anybody who uses a lot of apples or does KP duty in their kitchen. You can do all of the things mention here and it only takes about a minute to do an apple. Works great for peeling and/or slicing potato's also.

colorado clyde said:
Got them picked while he was away on vacation.

That made me laugh so hard I almost woke the wife up. :haha:

I had an aunt that use to make apple butter when I was young.....wish I had payed more attention now. :doh:

Hey Clyde, My friends apples made really good apple butter for sure. I made and canned 24 pints yesterday. ______ Know an old boy who has a big pear tree that is loaded this year and their ready to pick! He's single and has a big mean German Shepard and works days. Think I'll stop by this morning and take some of the weight off that nice pear tree for him. (Dog's in the garage).

Rick :wink:

Latest posts

Back