• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Have a Pedersoli Howdah ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeMat1856

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i was surfing the sites and came across this monster on several outlets and then got more details from the mfg.... here's the text:

"With twin barrels packing a one-two wallop, this big-bore pistol was popular with Europeans exploring the vast jungles of India and Burma in the mid-1800s. On a typical excursion, explorers and soldiers were part of an elephant caravan. Riding on a howdah (the basket perched atop an elephant) may look safe in today's world, but a century ago danger was imminent. Tigers could scale the side of a slow-moving elephant in the blink of an eye, causing great concern for startled riders. To combat surprise big-cat attacks, the Howdah-style side-by-side pistol was created. Two cavernous 20-gauge smoothbore barrels may be loaded with buckshot, a single slug, or the devastating "buck and ball"-load common in big-bore muzzleloaders used on dangerous game. Whichever you choose, this 4.4-lb. hand-cannon will square up on a target with a sense of authority not seen since the days of Victorian-era British imperialism. Squeeze one of the triggers, and you'll appreciate the hand-conforming checkered walnut grip and the recoil-soaking end-cap counterweight as this charge-stopping pistol lays down its withering hail of lead. Its case-hardened lockplates are engraved with detailed wild animal scenes.
Barrel length: 11-1/4".
Overall length: 17-3/4".

and pix:
HOWDAHCABELA-1.jpg

HOWDAH-PEDERSOLILarge.jpg

prices are a little steep no matter where i look, so let me know if you see a "previously owned" for sale anywhere.

meanwhile....
dear santa,
i've been really good this year and you owe me one for all the socks and t-shirts i've been putting up with...

my, how times change...!

these photos are from a british auction house of an 'original' howdah ( .667cal Howdah pistol c.1850s. Action a bbls have gone to gray. These pistols were carried in the baskets strapped to the elephants as a last line of defense against angry tigers. )...:

top view
HOWDAHORIGINAL2.jpg

side view
HOWDAHORIGINAL1.jpg

(personally, i'd rather have the repro !!!)

--------------------------------

claude - thanks for the excellent link. that really sums up *any* questions i had about its performance.

The latest issue of "Guns Of The Old West" has a nice article by Dennis Adler in reviewing the Howdah pistol. He examine an shot a 20X20 and a 20X.50 using 35 grains of FFg in both with good results. He had to use .570" balls in the 20 guage barrels, don't know how much better larger balls would have performed. Interesting article though.

jumpshot,

have you enjoyed using them (half as much as i have just looking at that beautiful collection) ?

i would recommend that you put 1 back into the box, seal it, and expect it to double in value over the next decade or so.... especially unusual or unique items.

what do you use in your load - rb, shot, or both ?

and how much powder ?

~daniel~
ps. even at $599, cabelas sold out of 20 x 20's in less than a month...!

I ordered my Howdah 20x20 from cabela's in July and got it about a month or two ago. It sure is fun, The one cabelas sent has the old style metal ramrod with a swivel so you can't lose, break or drop the rod...this is perfect for my horse pistol.

I have been experimenting with # 7 shot with everything imaginable to try and get the pattern to hold tight out to 30 yrds or so. Had some luck with rolled paper shotwads but sometimes they hold together so you get a fragmentation slug.

Just got a .600 RB mold for it and this really looks like a winner! I have shot from 25grs.2ff all the way to 65grs.3ff (had to stop there cause I don't want to break my stock) It is quite a cannon but recoil doesn't even compare to a big bore magnum revolver.

Penitration from the 60cal over 40grs. of 2ff isn't really enough to consider it a back up gun for big bear but it sure hits hard with that big of a ball. I shot an old rough-sawn 2x8 with it tonight and it almost broke the board clear in two but the ball barely exited.

I have been using it with leather wads that I made to shoot balloons from my running horse and this has been a lot of fun. He is a lot more tolerant of the BOOM from the black powder than he is of the CRACK of a modern magnum. I built a holster for it that goes on my saddle so it quickly became my horse pistol.

:thumbsup: Yep! They are a little steep - but I have been more than satisfied with mine. Got the 20X20. Shoots a great pattern and also groups well for a gun without a rear sight. She stays loaded all they time now. Patched .60 calibre round ball topped off with #4 buck shot, and a 35 grain charge of Goex ffg. This is just an outright fun gun, with a lot of practical applications.

Pedersoli - I bought one of their Brown Bess Carbines about a year and a half ago and was sold on their quality. My Brown Bess is on par with some custom guns I have owned. The Howdah just fills a unique place in my gun case. From squirrels to bigger game it will do the job. Pretty nice hall sweeper for HD.

One of these would make quite a house gun stoked with 40 gr 3f and a dozen #3 buckshot in each barrel. Any intruder looking down those barrels would probably leave a brown streak all the way to the door.

I'd like to keep one loaded with #4 buckshot in my vehicle to use for self defense. At close range it would be a lot more powerful and lethal than several shots from my snub nose revolver. And it would be a lot easier to hit my target with.

PRM,
What kind of patterns are you getting? What is your load? I have done a lot of testing with mine but still haven't found quite what I'm looking for. I would sure appreciate any info.

I have got around 5 inch patterns at around 10 yards with Buck using 30 grains of Goex FFg. Patched round ball is holding good for me with the same charge. I stepped it up to 35 grains of FFg with 4-5, #4 Buck on top of the round ball (over shot card to hold it in place). Also had good results. :thumbsup:

I have one, am not finished with it yet (kit form) and I love it so far. It works superb.

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5538.JPG

going to have the stock checkered and reblue or maybe brown the barrel and metal parts on it. So far I have been working on the stock getting it ready to checker.

My Howdah

. nov 14 / 9:40p

beautiful job !

if you really want to personalize it, there are several checkering patterns shown in a book i have : "hobby gunsmithing: do-it-yourself" (ralph t walker, 2005).
he shows how to do fleut-de-lis, bartlett pattern, and a combination fill-in and point pattern - all way beyond my ability but really nice finishing touches.

another 'smith book i'm reading now, "black powder hobby gunsmithing" by fadala and storey (1994), has an entire chapter for wood embellishment with relief carving, incise carving, checkering, and even inlays - all in step-by-step pictures.

they make it look soooo easy...

now you've got me tempted to give that kit a go myself......

they also illustrate lots of small things you can do to customize your piece too like jeweling, engraving, and "pin-ons" (whatever that means), etc.

from the pictures it looks like you did a great job staining the wood.

now, after all those hours of hard work, it's time to take it out and add a few scratches, gouges, dings and powder burns just to give it that "real world" look....

nice job !

~daniel~

ps. nice photography as well.. excellent depth of field and focus and very soft lighting without any hot spots.

Woo, what timing. I am watching Mummy2 right now. Ya Ya I know but it's excapism. Just saw Brandon Frazier fire a Howda at some monsters. He had on a between the shoulder blades holster.

Back