• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone able to ID a lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePrice2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
12480953.jpg

That is the best image I have of it. The only info on the rifle is that it was custom made between 50-80 years ago and is mounted on a full stock, Sharon barreled, .54 cal rifle that is for sale locally and I may take a close look at it. I've contacted the owner with detailed questions but thought I'd jump the gun (so to speak) by asking here, too.

thanks for any guesses,

Steve

PS- I have other pics of the rifle if that could help ID the lock by the rifle's build style????

I appreciate the quick response, Mr Brooks, and kind of figured a builder would chime in with the answer. Here's a couple more images of the rifle. The jag shows what appears to be quite a bit of neglect in the form of thick green brass crud. Is this a Hawken style or a Leman? or am I way off?

thanks, again.

Steve

12480820.jpg
12480988.jpg
12480954.jpg
12480952.jpg

That's about what I deduced as well. My first impression had too much " wow! look what I just stumbled upon in the classifieds" factor.

The current owner says he'll throw in the possibles bag as well which includes all the tools, two flasks, knife and half a dozen other goodies with it. He mentioned he only shot the rifle twice and couldn't say much about its accuracy. He said there was a "JH" on the lock. 35 inch barrel. Little to no rust or pitting. 52 inches overall length. The stock shape and keys led me to guess Hawken style also.

I'm thinking on passing and putting my money on a Lancaster or other Eastern style which will be my first flintlock.

Steve

I Simply can't see why in the world you would want to "Pass" on a fullstock Hawkin! Do you know how many guys would break thier Neck trying to get such a rifle???
I think your wisest move would be picking this one up and start saving yer pennies once again!

That's definitely not a Hawken trigger guard or triggers. Patchbox isn't Hawken either. Sharon offered a fullstock and halfstock Hawken kit and a halfstock trade rifle. There was a percussion halfstock English style fowler available too. Don't recall a Leman fullstock. No way the rifle is 50 to 80 years old. Given the aura of neglect, I'd go carefully on this one. If the bore is perfect and the price is very low--maybe. But that's an old lock, and parts from the modern day equivalent lock may not fit.

I'd say that it's an L&R Late English Flintlock with a double-throat hammer model no.900DT

It's in many ways a sort of a copy of a Henry Scroll or Late English model (Late model originals were made starting in 1834 and built in Lancaster Cnty, PA) - the patchbox is definitely styled after an Old English model - the late models used either the Old Model box like this one or one of the various styles used on the Henry Lancaster/American Model. The JH on the lock goes along with this theme - Henry's initials were JH

The buttplate is definitely an early (pre-1850) Hawken style. Can't see the guard that well, but looks like a scroll guard? While not a classic Hawken it's well within some of the variant styles on their known rifles like this one:
s-hawken-1.jpg

The lock looks like an L & R See the link for a comparison of a current model: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(n...4&subId=148&styleId=830&partNum=LOCK-LR-900-D
Hammer's a bit different than the current one but could be an early model or a replacement.

Age - IMO can't be older than the Sharon barrel

FWIW - it's someone's interpretation of either a full-stock iron mounted Henry (originals made from 1830), a generic Rocky Mtn aka Plains rifle of the late 1820's to 1830's - it fits well into this category, or possibly??? an early flint Hawken. I tend towards the Henry interpretation

I'd say it's worth taking a look at and if the barrel (use a bore light) and lock innards are good and the stock shows no damage, then dependent on price IMO it might not be a "bad" piece with a bit of clean up. By the hand wear on the forestock this one has been carried for a while.

Track has innards if it is one of the old L & R Sharon locks: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(t...subId=147&styleId=802&partNum=LOCK-LR-UPGRADE
Pull the lock and see if there are any marks there...

Here's a link that has links to pics of a fullstock percussion Sharon - guard doesn't match for one... http://members2.boardhost.com/TradeBlanket/msg/1246934805.html

Last edited by a moderator:
For sale in the local classifieds, been neglected some, needing a new home, etc.....

That is what I really like to find!

If the bore is good, and it was put together well, and the lock works and sparks!

He is also throwing in a bunch of extras!!!

I would really hate to pass on a potentially great shooting flinter! No shipping as well!

The price to me would be the only deal breaker!

If you know Gollum from the Lord of The Rings, and his obsession with the ring! That is what I feel like, when I find something like this!

It was $450.00 and it apparently sold this AM. One of the guys here was going to check it out and he let me know he was too slow.

It was about an hour away from me and I decided to pass on it. I'm still debating a kit build or finished flintlock as my workspace is small and time and tools are another big factor.

Always black powder rifles for sale in Utah from CVA's to a recent original 1827 Springfield.

Steve

If you passed on a well-used, no-name fullstock flint fur trade era gun for $450 without being able to shoot it, you probably should not chide yourself too much. There will be blanket guns like this around. It would have made a good hunting gun, probably. I used that lock once and it was a rock-eater if the flints were not stout.

Back