• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another old war horse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just thought i would share some picatures of a M-1848 for the swedisch rangers. It started it's life as "pin" (for lack of a better word" rifle, you know the kind of rifle were you seat a bullet against a pin in the chamber and then give the ramrod a few good whacks with a mallet, it was said to shoot wery well when you got it right, apperently that didn´t happend so often :grin:
The last picature shows three shoots of hand at 50 meters so i have good hope for it, the patches didn't hold thou.
My load 100 grains FF, .725 ball and .022patch whit some homemade goo on

P2110001.jpg

P2110002.jpg

P2110004.jpg

P2110005.jpg

Big caliber!
Nice gun!
Nice group!
Can't get any better than that.
Tell us a lot more, please?
If you intend to shoot target, try a mix of olive oil and beeswax for your patch lube.
It is relatively inexpensive to make, smells good, and lasts a long time.
A 12 gauge card over the powder should help your patch stay together, it will also assist cleaning between shots.
Old Ford

Beautiful rifle and pretty good offhand shooting too, recoil must be "challenging". LOL
I had always assumed those "tige" breech rifles were intended to fire a bare ball without patching but must admit I don't know that to be a fact. I think they also used a conical bullet but realize a conical of that diameter would be pretty durn heavy, even a round ball is. You might also want to look up Delvigne who had an earlier system which was sort of the female version of the tige. :haha: :haha:

Some more info on the subject, this rifle was ment too replacethe M/1815-20 a flintlock rifle of about 16mm then cosiderd a pistol caliber :wink: whitch was deamd too be too light!! The service load as far as i have beeb able to find out was a conical bullet weighing 840gr backed by 82 gr of black traveling around 300meters per sec.
Funny enough this rifle was then considerd to heavy :wink: I weighs in at 6,1 kilo so it could not have bee all that carring one all day

Very nice rifle you have...Keep playing with it and post a few more pics when you do

If the patches are tearing, its because that muzzle crown is too square! It needs to be rounded and polished, to keep the patch from being cut at the muzzle from those sharp edges around the bore, and on the face of the lands.

Use a Carriage bolt head to back some fine emery cloth to round the crown. Twist the barrel with one hand in one direction, while turning the bolt and emery cloth( pinch the abrasive against the bolt with your thumb to hold it in place) to keep the crown centered and evenly rounded. :hmm: :thumbsup:

ALWAYS READ YOUR SPENT PATCHES, AS THEY WILL TELL HOW WELL YOUR PATCH LUBE IS WORKING, AND HOW GOOD A SEAL YOU ARE GETTING FROM BOTH THE PATH AND YOUR CHOICE OF LUBE.

Something must be working right, for you to get that nice 3-shot group at 50 meters shooting off-hand. WAY TO GO! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

nice ranger rifle Math ...the shootin' is real nice too! a closer picture of the lock would be nice. :thumbsup:

Back