• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An interesting Colt Paterson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This one, here in England and bought a while back for £150, is also quite interesting...

But THIS one is totally inexplicable...................I last posted it back of last year.

Record price for rare Colt found during clear-out

By Will Bennett, Art Sales Correspondent

12:01AM BST 25 Jul 2002

A rare Colt revolver found in an elderly woman's home when her possessions were being removed after she died fetched a record £222,250 at a Bonhams auction in London yesterday.

The 1840 Colt Paterson percussion revolver, which had been expected to fetch up to £120,000, sold for more than four times the value of the woman's terrace house in an unnamed town in south-west Scotland.

David Williams, Bonhams's arms consultant, recognised the beautifully engraved piece as one of only a handful of the Number 2 Belt Model Colt to have survived.

"It was amazing to see such a rare American revolver of this type come in for sale out of the blue," said Mr Williams.

Yesterday's price was the highest ever paid for any firearm in Europe. The Colt was bought by an anonymous bidder in the saleroom. How the woman acquired the revolver remains a mystery.

How about a cased Paterson with accessories? IMG_1399.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 60
If you love Paterson, it is worth visiting the Paterson Museum in Paterson, New Jersey. I doubt you will find a better collection. The entrance fee is minimal, a couple of dollars or so.

Other interesting exhibits as well, including The Fenian Ram - a submarine built in 1881 by John P. Holland for the Fenian Brotherhood, Rogers Locomotive (they were formerly made in the building now the museum), and industrial equipment (including an automated loom) from the silk-weaving factories that were an important part of the local economy.

Finding the Fenian Ram was totally unexpected, and I think I was as excited by that as I was the Colt revolvers!

Richard/Grumpa

Last edited:
Hopefully, many of you will take delight in these photos. (I apologize for their quality, I was excited, and not aware of the glare from the glass, and inadvertent cropping.) I have more photos of everything, but I have to find them.

Richard/Grumpa
PS: Thank you, Zonie, yet again. I have been wanting to post these pics for years. Your recent tutorial showed me how.

Last edited:
For the last ten years or so there has been a lovely replica Paterson, in its fitted box with the peculiar sugar-dispenser five-charge loading flask, and all the accessories, for sale in one of our LGS.

It started out at about £450 and has now gone down to £350, but has never, TMK, ever been out of the showcase, even for a look-over. See, here in UK, where we have to have a Firearms Certificate for a replica, nobody is going to spend money on such an oddball gun, no matter how interesting it might be from an historical viewpoint.

For the last ten years or so there has been a lovely replica Paterson, in its fitted box with the peculiar sugar-dispenser five-charge loading flask, and all the accessories, for sale in one of our LGS.

It started out at about £450 and has now gone down to £350, but has never, TMK, ever been out of the showcase, even for a look-over. See, here in UK, where we have to have a Firearms Certificate for a replica, nobody is going to spend money on such an oddball gun, no matter how interesting it might be from an historical viewpoint.
What caliber is it and whereabouts is it situated Mr Foley. I have some spare slots on my licence

Now there's a situation I've not encountered since the turn of the century!!! You must be the only person in UK in that situation - I would have to get rid of a gun in order to get another one, thanks to the attitude of my last-but-three Chief Constable.

Now there's a situation I've not encountered since the turn of the century!!! You must be the only person in UK in that situation - I would have to get rid of a gun in order to get another one, thanks to the attitude of my last-but-three Chief Constable.
You must live in the wrong area 2 rifle and 2 pistol spaces at the moment

Below is a link to a short account of the trial of Jose Maria Rivas, owner of the first Paterson revolver pictured in this thread. *
He was accused of "Lurking or acting as a spy". He was sentenced to be shot to death, and the sentence was overturned by President Lincoln in 1862. As Rivas was a scout, not a spy, "he clearly is a prisoner of war."
I just found this (I have wondered about Rivas ever since I saw this pistol some years ago). I am excited!

Here is the link, I hope it works.

https://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/117/0669
Richard/Grumpa
* There are a couple of threads on here re Patersons! the photo I refer to is elsewhere...so here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Back in the mid 90s I was set up at a local gun show and the fellow across from me (from Gettysburg) had a couple of tables of primarily Colt revolvers, early 1900s and back. On Saturday he bought a baby Patterson which was broken for $17,000 ( about $28,800 today). The gun looked good and complete so I assume the problem was internal but I didn't ask.

Back