• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An Exceptional Scottish Dirk - Glen McClain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob McBride

54 Cal.
Reaction score
My first direct line American ancestor "Niven Baxter McBryde" (A nephew, and namesake of the Clan Laird) was a Highlander of the Kintyre Peninsula in Argyle who was sentenced to transportation after the '45'. He landed at Cape Fear, NC and made his way upriver to the Highland enclave of Cambelltown (modern day Fayetteville) in the mid 1700's. He settled there for the next 60 years until taking his family across the border for a new life in Early County Georgia, all the while maintaining his Scottish heritage and his strong Presbyterian faith.......

As such, one of my newest projects is to build a gun, and ensemble, to represent the man and his heritage. I have a belt by James Rogers, and matching belt pouch, to which I've recently added my first actual piece of hardware...which will represent on of his prized possessions, given him by his father, and carried for his entire life.

An exceptional Scottish Dirk by Glen McClain, 17.25"/12", with inlaid handle, scrimshawed pommel cap, and beautifully worked sheath.

If you have a Dirk in your collection please post it here!

IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG

Last edited:
That is indeed a gorgeous dirk. I often thought that if I ever got into living history, I'd have a dirk as my belt knife and a similar persona. My maternal ancestors were part of Clan Dunnachaidh/Robertson (my mother's maiden name), though we can't seem to trace exactly when they came over.

I made this patch knife last week, actually, from a sgian dubh blade I've had for a while. Not as cool as your dirk, though!
20200811_185323.jpg

20200811_185427.jpg

Mostly, but he does always have 6-12 at the longrifle shows.

Aye, Bob, now that you have a nice Biodag; will there be a sgian-achlais and sgian-dubh to accompany it in the future?

I have often thought a Sgian-Achlais (Arm Pit Knife) might make a good belt knife and like tnlonghunter, a Sgian-Dubh make a good knife to cut patches. Of course it would not have been a "Patch Cutting Knife" in the period, rather a knife used to cut patches or anything else that needed cutting. Grin.

Gus

Aye, Bob, now that you have a nice Biodag; will there be a sgian-achlais and sgian-dubh to accompany it in the future?

I have often thought a Sgian-Achlais (Arm Pit Knife) might make a good belt knife and like tnlonghunter, a Sgian-Dubh make a good knife to cut patches. Of course it would not have been a "Patch Cutting Knife" in the period, rather a knife used to cut patches or anything else that needed cutting. Grin.

Gus

Lol, that’s a great idea. I just bought the Sporran that will be featured in the Jan/Feb Muzzleloader Magazine to go with it so I’m putting together a nifty set. Think I’ll shock the fellers on BPTV when I show up in a plaid skirt to shoot my c1740 Fowling Piece?

Kilt Bob kilt, and be sure to do it right REGIMENTAL, funny thing happened a few years ago at civil war reenactment I researched the 79th new York for about 3 years and put together a regimental dress uniform, so decided to wear it to the evenings dance with my wife, while on the dancing a lass walks up to me and asked if I was a true scot next thing I know she has my kilt in her hand and up goes the kilt, she then looked me in the eye with a wink and said you sure are.

Lol, that’s a great idea. I just bought the Sporran that will be featured in the Jan/Feb Muzzleloader Magazine to go with it so I’m putting together a nifty set. Think I’ll shock the fellers on BPTV when I show up in a plaid skirt to shoot my c1740 Fowling Piece?

Aye, Lad, then perhaps some recommendations both practical and whimsical?

When the Tartan is referred to as "plaid" it is properly pronounced "played" and not "plahd," the latter being the Sassenach pronunciation.

Since TN gets a might warm in Spring through Early Fall, you might want to consider not wearing a full Kilt, but rather the Philabeag (Small Kilt) to keep cooler, as it only wraps around the waist. Either way, there are some very important things you need to do when going Regimental or "authentic" and trust me this is from personal experience. The first is to rub cornstarch on your inner thighs the first few times you wear the Kilt or Philabeag, this to keep from chafing certain more tender parts of your flesh and inner thighs. Cornstarch works better than baby powder or most anything else in this regard, plus it is period authentic. The second is even MORE important and that is to liberally use Bug Juice (Insect repellent) so the Skeeters don't eat you alive under the Kilt or Philabeag. I found this out the first time I wore my Philabeag at Colonial Williamsburg in late May, much to my discomfort and chagrin. The third thing is you have to constantly remind yourself to kneel down to pick up something off the ground, rather than quickly bending straight over, the latter too often exposing a Full Moon (or worse) even in broad daylight at High Moon - eh, I meant High Noon. The fourth thing is to ensure your hose are high enough on your leg that they can be tied above the calf of the leg and have a little material that hangs over the ties. OK, that takes care of the practical, now on to the whimsical.

A true Scot is expected to be a natural and charming story teller, so it is well to prepare for that as well.

I'm a natural ham, so at events like "Under the Red Coat" at Colonial Williamsburg, when we portrayed the British Army on their way to Yorktown, I would invite tourists into our camp and do talks and demonstrations, especially for the "Wee Bairns." (Bairns is the Scottish word for "Beloved Children.") Now these talks were mostly "rated G and sometimes slightly into PG," as we did not wish to embarrass ourselves or Colonial Williamsburg.

Around 10:00 AM on Saturday, I had gone as long as I could without a cigarette. We did not smoke them in camp, but had to go to designated spots to smoke anything other than a period pipe. I decided to go over to the sort of Outdoor Cafeteria Restaurant to see if I could get a lemonade with no sugar (excellent way to cool down) and have a smoke. Whilst there, four ladies near my own age were looking at me and whispering to each other. It was unusual to see four attractive Ladies near my own age in their early to mid 40's, so I wasn't going to waste an opportunity. So I looked at them and said, "Good Morning Ladies, how fare ye this fine morning?" That emboldened the two oldest and most attractive Ladies and one said, "Do you mind if we ask a few questions?" To which I replied, "For a bevy of such Bonnie Lassies, how could I possibly resist? Please ask any and all questions you may have."

Three of the four asked a few questions one might expect, but held back on the one they really wanted to know. The fourth appeared to be the youngest by a year or two and she was too shy to ask a question directly to me. Instead she finally whispered the question they all wanted to know into the ear of the one asking most of the questions. That Lady blushed slightly, but with an impish little grin, asked me what I had on under the Kilt? To which I replied, "What the Good Lord in his magnificent benevolence, has seen to bless me with." To this the two most attractive Ladies chuckled, the third smiled, but it was plain the fourth didn't understand. This allowed me a chance to pull out a very old amusing story of a Scot in similar circumstances and slightly modify it for these circumstances.

I asked them if they had been in town two days past when the heat was so unbearable? That piqued their interest and replied they had not. I informed them after a hard morning's labor, I sat with my back against a tree while eating my mid day meal and wound up falling asleep. When I awoke, I felt a curious restriction, so I lifted the edge of my Philabeag only to find my caber had a blue ribbon tied round it. I thought to myself, "Laddie, I dinna ken where ye been, but it seems ye won First Prize." (I said this while rolling my "R's" as much as possible and with a straight face for good effect.) A few seconds later the older two laughed, but the other two looked puzzled and the youngest this time sort of blurted out in normal conversational tone, "What's a Caber?"

Again with a straight face, I asked if they ever had the occasion to be present at a Highland Games? The two oldest said they had, but not the two youngest. So I asked if they had ever seen the game where a Lad picked up a large wooden pole and attempted to toss it end over end? That rang a bell with them. So I informed them, "That game is known as a "Caber Toss" and is meant to teach Highland Laddies how to properly handle their Caber for the day they reach their age of majority." Then I gave a small devilish grin. At that, the three older Ladies busted out laughing, though the youngest blushed mightily at first, but then laughed as well.

Gus

Kilt Bob kilt, and be sure to do it right REGIMENTAL, funny thing happened a few years ago at civil war reenactment I researched the 79th new York for about 3 years and put together a regimental dress uniform, so decided to wear it to the evenings dance with my wife, while on the dancing a lass walks up to me and asked if I was a true scot next thing I know she has my kilt in her hand and up goes the kilt, she then looked me in the eye with a wink and said you sure are.

Lol. Yea, I was saying ‘skirt’ as that’s what it would look like from the perspective of many of the folks watching the episode.

Funny thing, wearing the plaid around here comes with baggage. There are several ‘hippy compounds’ here on Short Mountain that have been here since the sixties, the largest of which is inhabited by self sufficient gay farmer cross-dressers, so seeing a dirty guy in a sun dress or skirt, work boots, and grease of their hands from working on the tractor at the local Walmart is far from uncommon. If I took to wearing a kilt around here I would be placed solidly in the ‘Buttercup Ridge’ camp by every one of my neighbors. I walk a fine line....

Interestingly, they have been here for so long, and have been so conscientious about their neighbors that they have fully integrated into our very small and uber-conservative community.

Last edited:
Lol. Yea, I was saying ‘skirt’ as that’s what it would look like from the perspective of many of the folks watching the episode.

Funny thing, wearing the plaid around here comes with baggage. There are several ‘hippy compounds’ here on Short Mountain that have been here since the sixties, the largest of which is inhabited by self sufficient gay farmer cross-dressers, so seeing a dirty guy in a sun dress or skirt, work boots, and grease of their hands from working on the tractor at the local Walmart is far from uncommon. If I took to wearing a kilt around here I would be placed solidly in the ‘Buttercup Ridge’ camp by every one of my neighbors. I walk a fine line....

Interestingly, they have been here for so long, and have been so conscientious about their neighbors that they have fully integrated into our very small and uber-conservative community.
"self-sufficient gay farmer cross-dressers"........now there's a phrase you don't see every day....

A number of years back I was part of the 78th Highlanders and we were participating in the 250 anniversary of the Battle of Carillon at Ft. Ticonderoga. It was overcast and drizzly and finally turned into a real Frog Strangler. I was injured and had to go to the local hospital to get some stitches. Before I went I removed all explosives and cutting instruments to make sure that I didn't scare anyone. But I did look like a drowned rat in my soaking wet regimentals. Once there I was quickly admitted to a small operating room. The surgeon who was dealing with my cut said that was a nice skirt that I was wearing. I told him that if I had my Bess, bayonet and sgian-dubh and Sgian-Achlais it would have been a kilt, but as long as he was sewing up my hand it was a skirt.

BTW, since the event was being filmed for possible use in a PBS program we were all instructed to wear pants of some sort under the kilt. They really didn't want to throw away good footage because of a moon shot.

Latest posts

Back