• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ageing new bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhorse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the best (easiest) methods of aging one of those new October Country shooting bags? Besides carrying it around 12 months a year.

Give it to the kids to play with for a few hours...

They'll fill it with rocks and drag it in the driveway behind their bicycles, play tug-o-war with it because they won't take turns, slam it up against a tree a few times and voala, instant aging...

I say this because my wife gave the girls an old purse to play with, (still in good condition when they got it) within a few horus it looked 180 years old...

Darkhorse,
Try this...
oil it fairly heavy, hang on the back of your car or truck and go down a dry gravel road and get some dirt dust on it. Then clean it real good with saddle soap.
Ive done this with some leather items years back, worked well for me and gave it that used but not abused look. the oils soften and allow the dust to stick, which will take out most of the residual oil. the saddle soap removes most of the dirt 'cept inthe creases and gets blended in by the soap, which leaves a waxy oil appearance when done.

just a thought,
Brett

If it was me I'd throw it out in the driveway and drive over 8 or 10 times with the truck.Then I'd probably whip it a few hundred times with a length of chain then after that I'd give it to my Lab Dog to play Tug with for the rest of the evening.The chain is optional. :hmm:

Easy, lend it to your best buddy and tell him not to put a mark on it! :)

Try to imagine where the natural wear patterns would be on your pouch. Then put the end of a baseball batt inside your pouch where the wear patterns will be. Then with a knife with a decent edge, NOT RAZOR SHARP, scrape the outside of your pouch making wear.

Character is combination of wear, burnishing and dirt.

To burninsh wear areas, fill you bag with stuff, sand will even do but it has to resist your hand pressure. Add a little water (or spit if you have plenty) to certain areas and then start rubbing. Dont go overboard on burnishing, a little makes wonderful character but too much makes a patent leather purse out of your pouch.

I make my own "scuzz" by melting beewax with a little neatsfoot oil and a couple of pinches of rotten stone. This works well to fill in the needle holes around the thread. It also works well adding a couple of dirty smudges in and around the areas you scuffed up with the knife. Rotten stone its self is wonderful dirt and dust. Take a soft cloth and pat rotten stone every where. It comes off quickly so dont leave your pouch on your wifes couch. Even though the rottenstone comes off, a lot works it way into the leather, nooks and crannies. Apply it when ever you think about, even months from now.

Take your time and think what you want your pouch to look like. Think about it, set it aside for a few hours, and then go in small steps. Take your time, in a couple of evenings you will have what you want. Character takes time, so you always add a little more character when ever you want a change.

:hatsoff: Good luck

Joe

On another thread a few weeks ago, when someone asked about "aging" a rifle, someone said something that stuck with me. He said, just remember that at one time even the antique was new.

I would suppose that money being as tight as it were in the 18th/19th century that if I had enough money to get something new, that I'd take as good a care of it as I could. It'd get scuffed up on its own if'n ya used it.

There is one factor that no one seems to take into account in aging of wood, metal and leather and that is sunlight. Take yer new whatever and stand it in a south window where it gets direct sunlight and that will put more age on your finish than you can believe. You gotta turn it from time to time so that all sides get exposed equal. Water and sunlight puts natural age on quicker than anything else. One good hike/hunt in inclement weather will take the new off'n it permanent. Nothin like draggin it through the pines or mesquite to give it character.

B

Darkhorse said:
What's the best (easiest) methods of aging one of those new October Country shooting bags? Besides carrying it around 12 months a year.

Hey Darkhorse, take a look at this thread here... lots of good advice buried in it:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/192493[/url]

... including a link to this article on the topic by Wayne Zurl (one of the "names" in the trade):
[url] http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/aging-leather-zurl.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back