• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accurate Michigan ML?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad1043

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
just wondering what gun would be an accurately used Muzzleloader from Michigan? Would it be a Northwest rifle?

That rifle looks like it would fall anywhere from 1850-1880. The old Northwest Territories really don't have "typical" rifles. Gun builders from all over the States at that time moved here and brought different styles with them.

Here's my Roy Stroh interpretation of a c. 1800 "Indiana" rifle. As you can see, the original builder was obviously schooled by someone in Lancaster County, PA.

IMG_4692.jpg

Thanks for the reply. By the time settlers reach Michigan were flints still used or were they on the decline? I already have a Lyman GPR, but I was thinking about a .32 or .36 in flint. I would like it if it was local accurate... I know it's a hard question...

Chad

The first settling or selling of land by the General Land Offices would have occurred between 1805 when it was incorporated as it's own territory to 1837 when it became a State. I don't know much if anything about Michigan history, so you'll have to do your own research, there.

The period of time when the first 60,000+ settlers made their way to Michigan, you would generally have seen flintlocks.

Michigan Territory?
I'm thinking anything made in Pennsylvania could have easily made it's way shortly westward into Michigan once Penn rifles where in vouge.
Heavy influence from Hudson bay Trading early on,,

So your issue is a time frame,,?

I'm just interested in what was used in the territory at the time. Nothing set in stone.

The French had trading posts in Michigan in the 17th Century - no rifles there. Fusils are fun and good hunting pieces.

Lots of action in the Seven Years French & Indian War - no rifles yet. Fusils/Besses.

Pontiac's War - likely no rifles yet.

Revolutionary War - possibly some rifles among the settlers, mostly still smoothbores.

Well, the British had Ft. Michilimackinac for years. Many flint locks unearthed around there. The Indians would have had them traded to them around this time also.

The Fort

Here is proof that the NW trade gun was in use here in Michigan. It is a side plate that was dug up in Northport MI a few years ago. Of coarse there was quite a gambit of all sorts of longrifles, smooth bore guns, and muskets depending on what time frame you are going after. I ran across a fine Lehigh valley PA rifle near my home here in North west lower MI that had been in the same family for five generations. This family came out of eastern PA.
P1000789.jpg
OriginalKentuckyLongrifle009.jpg

Some of this would depend on when and where you are looking at.

Where in Michigan are you located at?

Foster From Flint

Captjoel said:
Here is proof that the NW trade gun was in use here in Michigan. It is a side plate that was dug up in Northport MI a few years ago.

P1000789.jpg
It doesn't seem to have aged a bit after being buried all that time?

I'm in Holland... Looking right around the time settlers started moving in. I do like the Fusil, but would rather have a rifle...

One of the cool things about brass.....it gets a great patina over time, but doesn't rust or oxidize. Jack, you know dragons hang around for centuries unlike us mere mortals! :wink:

In Holland? We're about 15 minutes apart.....

Some research would include what VanRalte brought with him from the Netherlands. Or, a Germanic rifle (more are from Germany than admit :hmm: )

Well Van Raalte came to the Holland area in 1847. I was hoping to find something a little earlier... Not sure if the Reverend brought one himself... I will have to visit the museum...

Back