• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question of possible rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Dear Abby,
A question that may be foolish to the old hats here. I'm only about 7 months in to having my first full stock fowler. I love it, have taken pheasant with it, am working up round ball and turkey loads for it.
My question is, when cleaning, I pour water down the barrel (with a plugged touch hole) and scrub with raw wool on a tow worm. Occasionally, water misses the muzzle and runs down the edge of the barrel. While I dry the weapon well when done, use ballistol to wipe it all down inside the barrel, and even along the barrel/stock edge, and if storing for any length of time I use olive oil. Do I need to unpin the barrel and remove it regularly to make sure no water got under and is causing rust?
If so, I'm not sure I trust myself to do it. I thought that I might take the gun once a year/every other year to Dixon's for a work over and ask them to unpin the barrel. I need some advice.
Signed,
Worried about rust under the barrel of my full stock

You can tightly wrap a piece of cloth around the barrel at the muzzle to minimize the amount of water that can get past you. As to rust, I had never had a problem with it till I tried Ballistol. I have no dog in the fight about it’s value but with over 50 years of muzzle loading and using all types of oils the first time I got a rusty bore is when I tried Ballistol.
Don‘t let removing the pins to dismount the barrel stand in your way, be careful and use proper tools and it’s easy. Then wax the underside before putting it back.

On rifles that don't have a simple barrel wedge I wax the wood and apply light coat of grease to the bottom of the barrel then assemble. This way moisture won't collect in the trapped space and I only pull the barrel once a year to check it and reapply.

When cleaning a piece of cloth is also turned at the muzzle...
I use Ront Production water repellent marine grease between the barrel and the wood and I disassemble the rifle once or twice a year for changing the grease after removing the old one and no rust...

You can take a small strip of cling wrap, like for wrapping up leftovers and seal around the muzzle / stock area. Also set your rifle at a angle to divert the flow of water away from the muzzle. I always gease my barrels with Rig grease before installing. Never had a problem with rust.

If I hose the barrel down after cleaning with G96 it goes anywhere that water could. If you take it apart coat the underside with beeswax, then forget about it for 20 years.
Even if you get surface rust under the barrel, what's the harm if you can't see it ?

Dear Reader,
All you need to remove a pinned barrel is a proper size nail punch, a screwdriver and a bit of care. Remove the pins the same direction every time and keep them in order of location - I use a piece of masking tape to hold them. I only remove the barrels every 2-3 years. They all have been greased where they meet the stock, or at least waxed. Basically it's not a big deal, even after coming in from a hunt in the rain. I have an old hair dryer I bought years ago for $2 that I use if I think anything needs to be dried.

So regular nail punch will work to tap the pins out? Ok, what else shold I know? For years I used TC and Investarm, both with single brass wedges and removable barrels. I'm in new territory friends.

Not all pins are round. I have a one flinter that has tapered pins, so you really have to take a close look to see which side is larger than the other before you start removing them, and remove them in the correct direction, and don't mix up which goes where.

Car wax (but without abrasive cleaners), Johnson's Paste Wax, Renaissance Wax, bee's wax and most waxes will work.
After reading about Renaissance Wax here I purchased some and have been using it. i love it and use it on all my muzzleloaders and firearms. Also great on wood too. Plus a little goes a long way. Art

So regular nail punch will work to tap the pins out? Ok, what else shold I know? For years I used TC and Investarm, both with single brass wedges and removable barrels. I'm in new territory friends.

Make sure you punch them out backwards.
Meaning if they were put in from right to left, then you need to punch them out from left to right. Otherwise you can damage or cause wear to the pins or stock.
Also, be very gentle when separating the barrel from the forestock.

Unless you're dunking that thing in a stream, you really don't need to worry about minimal amounts of rust causing problems.
Think about it.....a lot of people brown their barrels..... that's rust.
Wax under the barrel is a good thing, but don't lose sleep over it.

Back