• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A boys Kentucky style gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicN

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I posted this on my new member introduction and it's suggested I post it here, I was never sure about this gun, it was sold as a boys Kentucky style rifle, it has an an unusual patchbox with a pilgrims hat as you can see. The Rifle is 42" long on a Maple stock , converted from Flintlock to Percussion but not very neatly, Barrel is rifled and 27"excluding tang. I'm not sure if it's a genuine gun or something put together at some time.
longview.jpg

patchbox.jpg

rifle.jpg

The octagram/polygon inlay with the pilgrim's hat is unusual, I'm not sure what to make of it.
I'm not sure but this gun may have been a fowler at one time.

Interesting rifle Would like to see more pics if possible especially the lock. Not seeing anything there that would indicate this was ever a flintlock. Also looks like there are brass screws on the cap box which kind of shout modern. That almost flat butt plate just looks out of place to me on a half stock. How wide is it across the butt?

Interesting rifle Would like to see more pics if possible especially the lock. Not seeing anything there that would indicate this was ever a flintlock. Also looks like there are brass screws on the cap box which kind of shout modern. That almost flat butt plate just looks out of place to me on a half stock. How wide is it across the butt?

The screws are rusted steel, across the butt is 4 ¼" but I wouldn't call it almost flat, it has more curve than my percussion shotgun. I agree that it was never a flintlock, on reflection I'm not sure why I ever thought it was but you have to take into account that all the guns I'm posting have been untouched for decades.
It's very unusual to find a gun stock made of Maple in the UK so I guess it didn't originate here regardless of whether it's an original gun or a hotch potch of different parts put to together by someone.

The screws are rusted steel, across the butt is 4 ¼" but I wouldn't call it almost flat, it has more curve than my percussion shotgun. I agree that it was never a flintlock, on reflection I'm not sure why I ever thought it was but you have to take into account that all the guns I'm posting have been untouched for decades.
It's very unusual to find a gun stock made of Maple in the UK so I guess it didn't originate here regardless of whether it's an original gun or a hotch potch of different parts put to together by someone.
Did not know this was an English gun that puts a whole different perspective on it. That would be very typical of what was being made in England during that time period. The wider almost flat butt plates are much more comfortable to shoot than the narrow butts with a deep crescent butt plate being made in America at that time. The half stock I made last year I patterned after the Rigby sporting rifle because of that. There were a lot of people coming to the states on hunting trips during that time so entirely possible they liked the maple stocks and took some wood back home. Will bow out and watch the thread now I just don't have any references to comment further

Back