• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A BEDFORD COUNTY RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The Bedford County School is one of my favorites. The Bedford style is the slimmest of all of the Pennsylvania Rifles. Even its locks are slim being only about 7/8 inch tall. Pierced Patchboxes were common with many makers using the Double Loop and Q (my description) pattern.

The Bedford gunsmiths must have been proud of their rifles and its patchbox style as they maintained it well into the 1850s when other County gunsmiths were moving away from the fancy patchboxes of the Golden Era. As this was well into the Precussion era, I felt it was proper to make this gun as a convertable, that is, it has both a Flintlock and a Precussion lock which are totally interchangable.

This rifle uses a 42 inch, 13/16 octagon, .45 caliber Green Mountain barrel with interchangable L&R Bedford Locks. The triggers are from Davis. The stock is a #3 Curly Maple from Pecatonica River Rifle Co. The pattern is similar to rifles built by W. Defibaugh and J.Stoudenour.
I used the book "The BEDFORD COUNTY RIFLE and Its Makers" as a reference while building her. As a small point of interest, this rifle has 4 pins securing the forestock to the barrel which follows suit with the above mentioned gunsmiths. She was made in 1997.
bedr.jpg

bedl.jpg

bedlbut.jpg

That is one fine looking Bedford that you have. I am also very fond of the style on the Bedfords.If I ever get around to getting my pictures on a site I will post what few that I have. In the meantime I will e-mail a shot of my rifle to you.

Zonie,,, What's the drop on that Bedford County Rifle? I'm guessing 5 plus inches? It's a fine lookin' rifle!

Joe: Thanks for the compliment.
You have a pretty good eye. You just missed it by about a half inch.
The drop is 4 1/2 inches.

As I am sure Albert can varify, that much drop on a light recoiling rifle (this one is a .45) isn't bad at all and when it is brought to the shoulder you don't have to move your head much at all to be lined up with the sights. Absolutly nothing like the neck bending you have to do with a modern rifle.

I guess that is why the Bedford builders didn't change things for well over 75 years.

i was reading some of the older posts and came across this one. i have to say that is one beautiful rifle Zonie. excellent job. :hatsoff:

Zonie, You did a great job on that Bedford. It incorporates everthing great about Bedford rifles which I find aesthetically pleasing.

Back