• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD .60 Early Virginia Style Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is a really well made rifle. Not sure who the builder was. Possibly Edward S. Kollar, whose collection it was from. It is in the Early Virginia rifle style. It has a 42" swamped barrel: 1.1" at breech, .880" in middle and .930" at muzzle. .60 caliber with 1:66 twist. Round bottom rifling. Mirror bright bore. The Maple stock has a dark "antique" stain added. Sliding wooden patchbox. Brass fittings with silver applied. Nice incise and relief carving. Lock is unmarked, but has some scroll engraving and a scalloped pan and frizzen base. Sparks very well. LOP is 13.75". Weighs in at about 9 lbs. Nice custom rifle in hard to find caliber. $1300 + Shipping.
20230811_061717.jpg
20230811_061741.jpg
20230811_061749.jpg
20230811_061756.jpg
20230811_062324.jpg
20230811_062333.jpg
20230811_062339.jpg
20230811_071835.jpg
20230811_060842.jpg

Last edited:
This bit of information was sent to me on American Longrifles:

"Edward S. Kollar owned a fullstock J.S. Hawken rifle that perhaps may have been a flintlock in its earliest day. He wrote an article that appeared in the October 1979 issue of the Buckskin Report describing the rifle. As I understand, the rifle was lost to a house fire a few years later."

Interesting rifle BSR :thumb:
Hard to make a positive decision without personally examining the rifle but photo of the lock's finely crafted internals appears it could be a flint era original & possibly the entire rifle ?
The style & fine workmanship on the lock indicates European craftsmanship & is very similar to original Jaegers I've collected over the past 50+ years.
Relic shooter

Interesting rifle BSR :thumb:
Hard to make a positive decision without personally examining the rifle but photo of the lock's finely crafted internals appears it could be a flint era original & possibly the entire rifle ?
The style & fine workmanship on the lock indicates European craftsmanship & is very similar to original Jaegers I've collected over the past 50+ years.
Relic shooter
That would be cool, but I don't think that is an antique bore. Rebore? Would be a well preserved survivor, if so.

That would be cool, but I don't think that is an antique bore. Rebore? Would be a well preserved survivor, if so.

Yes excellent bores in percussion & flint era firearms are rare, especially in today's marketplace.
I currently own 2 Jeagers, one flint era with near mint bores & a few pistols as well with excellent bores. These are whats left of what I acquired 40-60 years ago.

Fortunately over the past centuries there has been a few shooter/collectors
like myself & others on this forum who have taken exceptionally good care to preserve these firearms so the next generation can enjoy shooting these connections to history.

Over the past 60 years I only kept & fired antique firearms that showed prior use, those in mint or near mint condition we sold to collectors who just display them.
Paths of Antique Firearms;
Some 50 years ago as a young man I purchased a collection of about 200 European firearms from an elderly retired army officer in Little Rock, this is the story of his collection...
When Germany was occupied by U.S. forces he was ordered to collect & destroy all firearms including those in museums. He stated he was told to destroy by laying them on sidewalk curbs & running over them with half-tracks or tanks.

Being an avid young gun collector & Officer he said he couldn't bear destroying many of the museum pieces so having the means to crate & ship he shipped some of the best to his wife back in the U.S. Many other military & antique firearms also found their way to America in GI's knapsacks.

Young history buffs like myself lucky enough to grow up next to military installations & veterans in the West provided us with endless sources to inexpensive semi & full auto unmentionables, ammo & all the neat old guns of the western frontier that our lawn mowing labors & allowances could afford..
Relic shooter
Now we're the relics :confused:

Sorry. I am overburdened with some trades as it is. But thanks.
I understand. If I could see that gun and handle it to make a decision it might be worth my selling the smoothrifle locally. There are some parts of that rifle I'd like to see with my own eyes. Alas, quantum entanglement does not yet allow us to teleport from place to place....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back