• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 and 54 caliber ballistics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shot a lot over the chronograph with a bunch of different muzzleloaders. I have discovered a thing or two. First most published data is "very optimistic", especially T/C. Secondly, there are so many variables with loading, for example, ball size, patch thickness, cap manufacturer, pressure with which projectile is seated and probably a bunch more, that what is true for one gun may not be true for another, even one of the same model. The only way you will ever actually know is to use your chronograph, with the actual load and components you will be shooting with.

Just for info, my .54 Hawken with 28" barrel gives these results with PRB's:

Pyrodex RS 60 Grains. 1150 fps
75 gr. 1400 fps
90 gr. 1590 fps

Pyrodex P. 60 gr. 1460 fps
75 gr. 1540 fps
90 gr. 1670 fps

Goex fffg. 60 gr. 1370 fps
75 gr. 1500 fps
90 gr. 1630 fps

Hodgdon 777 60 gr. 1530fps
75 gr. 1700fps
90 gr. 1920 fps

I've found the same thing as PastorB. Another interesting result you will find is how Goex gives up producing velocity increases well before manufacturer max loads are reached while Swiss and OE keep generating more velocity. I've watched this happen in a wide variety of rifles and calibers whether using a RB or a bullet.

How far away the muzzle is your sky screens? I had the screens as far away as possible and still have the digital read out on my bench. I still got false readings from smoke. The range master wouldn't let me move the screens because he didn't want anything in front of the firing line.
I think my pact timer has 20' cables.

Silly question, perhaps: why do you want to know this? Trajectory estimation or trying to figure out how it will perform on game?
BOTH.
I hunt and I shoot long range.
When competing, a first shot hit at distance carries more points than the second shot, witc carries more points than third shot.
When hunting the second shot is not usually still there by the time you compensate.
If you want to "get it right" on the first shot then you must know the ballistics and trajectory of your gun and load.

How far away the muzzle is your sky screens? I had the screens as far away as possible and still have the digital read out on my bench. I still got false readings from smoke. The range master wouldn't let me move the screens because he didn't want anything in front of the firing line.
I think my pact timer has 20' cables.
I use a magnetospeed. It straps to the muzzle thus reading true muzzle velocity.
20' away the projectile has already slowed. This will effect your calcs for longer distances.

Latest posts

Back