• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'49 Pockets... new members of the family!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Two new members of the family arrived today... one LNIB (via another board), and one thanks to MLF member dogfood (thanks again!).

Top one (in photo) is an Uberti, middle is a reproduction as well -- a project FIE, which also happens to have a brass frame

Both will accompany their old (very) granpappy, a numbers-matching sample which was manufactured in 1851 -- a true Civil War veteran? Who knows, but it was definitely in circulation prior to!

I hadn't intended to add a brace of Pockets, but it just worked out that way. Aww, darn, right? Now all I need is a 1860 repro in .44, and my BP sidearm collection will be complete! :)

20211103_202633.jpg

Nice collection. I really like the original.

Thank you. This little revolver could be fired, but it's more interesting to hold, and imagine the hands in which it was previously held... used in anger? in defense? in war? its history is lost to the ages, but alive in my imagination.

I bought the reproduction so I could see what firing an original would be like, but I didn't realize modern reproductions have a different grip profile. I wonder why...

Yes that is the value of the original to me also. What history has it seen and the hands it passed through since the ones that made it.
Modern repros are fairly nice copies but lack the exact dimensions. The weight differences can also be felt using different materials and such.

Well, being reproductions, they are what they are . . . but, judging from the pictures provided, the grip profile looks pretty good! The original has what appears to be some shrinkage or wood loss but the brass profile looks to be the same as the copies. Hmmmmm . . .

Mike

Of course, there's a hundred fifty yrs difference!! What's amazing is the amount of "setback" of the barrel lug / frame!! Never seen that!!!

Mike

My Uberti was made in 1994 (BD date code), so the original is 143 years older, while the FIE was made in 1974 (XXX code), so the original is 123 years its senior.

All three revolvers have the same overall length.
The clyinder of the original and the FIE are the same length, while the Uberti's cylinder is longer.
The forcing cone in the original and the Uberti are the same, while the FIE's is shorter.
The barrel of the FIE and the Uberti are the same, while the original's is shorter.

Are there any replica pocket models being produced today ? I have an "EIG" Italian repo from the 60's - recently smithed by a forum member to working condition. Steel frames of any model are getting hard to find.

Jedediah Starr has had one in stock for some time, for $385 (plus shipping & tax), and it's a steel frame.

There's at least one NIB/steel frame available on GunBroker as well.

I had been watching both sites for months, hoping a deal would come along, but never did. Then I found a smokin' deal on Armslist -- I happened to look there an hour so so after it was posted, which is probably the only reason I was able to acquire this NOS/NIB '49 Pocket for $225!

Good luck!

I think that the FIE was imported by a Miami importer who represented Rohm of Germany. Those are sweet Pocket revolvers--the original looks to be in good condition.

Thank you.

I plan to go out this weekend and try out the Uberti. While my original example is in good enough condition to fire, I don't have any plans to do so... it's a prized possession, and I would be very disappointed if it were to crack (or worse). It gives me sufficient pleasure just to hold and occasionally work the action, which still functions quite nicely, with a trigger pull that's very crisp and light.

Yes that is the value of the original to me also. What history has it seen and the hands it passed through since the ones that made it.
Modern repros are fairly nice copies but lack the exact dimensions. The weight differences can also be felt using different materials and such.
Part of the problem is that the guns themselves were not exactly the same as time went on. There are variations in grip frames and other dimensions as well.

Back