• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4 Bore Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my first time build ever, a Mike Lea blunderbuss kit in 4 bore. Ed Rayl barrel, Chambers Round-Face English lock, and a walnut stock with brass hardware. It is a good shooter for very close targets!
DSC00624.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

Looks good from a distance. Do you have any up close photos of the hardware?

That barrel flat would be a great place to mount a scope for longer range accuracy! :rotf: :rotf:

Or, more seriously, it'd be a great place for some engraving.

You do nice work! Looks great how dose it shoot, or have you had a chance to shoot it yet? :thumbsup: FJ

Thankyou everyone for looking. I didn't take any closeups on purpose, remember that this is my first build. The Chamber's lock really does it's job throwing sparks and ignition is very quick.
I shot everything from #4 shot, 00 buck, ten .50cal rbs, and spurs clipped off from roundball casting. I will give this gun a workout tomorrow on Independence Day. I can shoot in my yard and blowing sheets of plywood and cardboard boxes to bits is very relaxing :thumbsup:

Nice Gun! You did a great job with it. :bow:
One of my 11 bore blunderbuss's showed up here at my shop last week. It was stocked up with Germanic furniture. Like a bone head I forgot to take pictures of it! :doh:

I can feel for you on the first gun thing.
Working thru a fowling gun now.
What trigger guard is on your blunderbuss?
Do you have the tang of the buttplate and the rear section of the trigger guard pinned?

That came out great! From the muzzle, it's sure intimidating, eh? I bet it lays a whallop on yer shoulder. :thumbsup:

Thankyou Mr. Brooks, you are very kind. Capt Jas,
I used a few more screws than the kit came with.
Three screws on the trigger guard and three on the buttplate. I tried pinning them but some things take alittle more practice. Plink, depending on the load, it can wake you up! It is a real crowd pleaser. At one rondy, I tried to shoot trap. Well, 2&1/2 ozs of #4 shot over 80grs
of 3f was really drawing a crowd. I didn't break one bird but when my feet were close to leaving the ground I called it quits. Ten 50cal rbs didn't seem to kick as bad. This is a fun gun and I sure have alot of it when I shoot it. :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad about your poor results with trap. That 11 bore I referred to earlier couldn't be used for skeet either, not even at station #1 where the bird is coming at you and close. These belled muzzles just don't seem to be good for clay birds, the pattern is just too open.

Might not be good for trap, but boy howdy I'd hate to stare down the wrong end of one of those loaded up with 10 .50 cal balls! I imagine that load would sure do a number on any numbskull trying to loot, pillage, and plunder.

RiverRat---I'm building a similar Blunderbuss. Getting the barrel through Stonecreek (Rayle) but the wood and all hardware through Mike Lea. I'm using a Catlin Locke though. I like how you did that ram rod too. Very nice build!

There is another 4 bore Blunderbuss thread going here that I started a couple of weeks ago, Mike Lea contact info is there. His phone and address. I do not think he has a website or email.

There is something about a four bore Blunderbuss that makes just about anyone smile... well except the guys looking down the barrel at one! :thumbsup:

Riverrat---That is interesting that you have thrown ten 50 cal round balls out of that monster.
I have always thought a few #4 or #6 shot or so with those big RB's would fill in the gaps and make the devastation even greater!

I plan on entertaining old men and children (okay and the girls too) with mine as well.

I also like the idea of mixing 3 different sized shot in a big ole four bore.

Nice looking build ya got there! :thumbsup:

I received my parts from Mike Lea for my 4 bore build. (Now I await the barrel from Stonewallcreek). The ramrod is just a thick dowel. Riverrat, how did you "lathe" that ramrod to that shape, it is almost like a narrow baseball bat. Did you have alot of handwork to get it contoured like that? Also does your brass buttplate go about 3/4 of the way down the face of the butt of the stock? I thought the brass butt plate would cover the entire butt of the wood on the stock, but it does not.

What a wicked looking piece, I bet it draws a crowd where ever it goes. Very nice!!!

Back