• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3RD Model Dragoon Now In Inventory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 grains under a 250 grain REAL will do whitetails nicely. 60 compressed under a ball works good for long range work also. Stone the trigger on the third model dragoon and you will never know when it is going to go off. Mine had the three leaf express sights, so I had a ramp with post and bead fitted. Heavy gun that needs a gun bearer in the field. It truly is a horse pistol.

I know it's heavy! I have a Walker that really likes 50 grains. I'm figuring that the weight of the Dragoon on my left hip will help make up for and balance-out the weight of the Walker on my right! :rotf: Only a scant few ounces difference in weight. Matter of fact, the Dragoon fits nicely in the Walker's holster, and the holster doesn't seem to miss the extra 1.5" of barrel, so I'm toying with the idea of just getting another Walker Holster so that I can change-up gun location on either hip without having to switch holster location :hmm: .

Thanks for the advice on the conicals. You & Blizzard seem to do great with them. I'll check into who's shooting them locally and borrow a few for testing.

All the best,

Dave

Put some Alox in an icecream tub. Roll the REAL's in it. They cut either two or three rings, depending on the gun. The bottom drops in to center. The multiple rings being cut pretty much eliminates flash overs. The 250 doesn't kick too bad in the heavy framed revolvers either. Once you get the trigger to where it is just a smooth squeeze until it goes off, that dragoon should put 6 out of the same cylinder into a sheet of paper at 100 yards pretty easily. Mine had 5 that were the same and one that was about an inch to the left at 20 yards out of my gun if I shot all six.
Mine hung loaded from my bed post for about 15 years. I took it out and emptied it once a year or so, whether it needed it or not! The REALS actually allow that if they have alox on them. I have been told that other lubes might make them a touch more accurate, but I like simple and the gun was already better than me!

the .45 REAL slug is actually 200 grs., a boost over the 140 gr. RB. they shoot real good in my ROA, more accurate (tighter group) than any I have used. this is with a 33 gr. 3F powder charge with a felt over-powder disc.

Box says 250 that the mold came in. Lee says they make it. They also make a 250-50 caliber to go with the 320-50. Never tried a 200-45 grainer. There is a single cavity 45 200 grainer on the clearance bin if anyone is looking for the lighter one. I shot a nice buck at 5 feet thru the lungs with one of the 250's. Believe me that at bow ranges, the 250 over 40 grains of P out of the Dragoon has no problems with whitetail if you hit the boiler room! I bought the mold for use with one of the CVA Kentucky's years ago. Then I went all 50 except for the pistols.

evidently Lee makes 2 different molds for the .45 REAL slug. the one I have is a combo RB and 200 gr. REAL slug.

There are two sizes in each caliber. A short bullet the is designed for the same things that the ballet is good for. Works ok to great in slow twist barrels. The longer one works in the 1-48 to 1-32 range best.

I have been experimenting with the Lee REAL 200 gr. slug in my ROA. I also have the conical slug (230 gr) for the ROA with the 'reduced heel', the REAL shows some potential and makes clean-cut holes in paper.
I don't have a .45 rifle or front-load pistol, a buddy does so he's been getting some slugs, says they do good.

mec said:
Here's a fifty yard "duelist" group with a walker. Picture seems a bit degraded but the charge is 55 gr/vol pyrodex p
walkeroneh50.jpg

walkerhead.jpg

as I recall, this was a ball and 50 grains of pyrodex p or goex fffg

walker loads:
140 Grain Ball Average six rounds Extreme spread
55 Goex FFFg 1001 fps 54
60 Goex FFFg 1115 fps 46
60 Gr./Vol. Pyrodex P 1221 44
60 Gr./Vol. A Pioneer 974 80
60 Gr/Vol Swiss FFFg 1278 53
55 FFg 956 46
60 Gr./Vol. PyrodexRS 1045 35
37 Gr./Vol. H 777 1201 72

200 Grain Lee Bullet
40 Goex FFFg 927 40
45 Swiss FFFg 1074 33
45Gr/Vol Pyrodex P 1087 47

170Grain Original Pattern Picket Bullet
40 Grains Swiss FFFg 1031 36
Energy 402 ft/lbs
45 Grains Goex FFFg 1026 84
45 Grains Swiss FFFg 1158 35
506 ft/lbs
45 Gr/Vol. Pyrodex P 1035 57

Mec - 37 Grains/vol of 777 gave you 1200+ fps? Is this a typo?

Back