• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 Texas Paterson Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st_lgarret01

32 Cal.
Reaction score
does anybody have any info about repro paterson pistols? (particularly the belt model without the loading lever)

I've looked at the one on dixiegunworks.com and its priced at 535 bucks, and it gets alot of mixed reveiws, some really good and others awful. it seems the cylinder binds badly, dosen't lock up, and finding caps that fit is a royal pain, :cursing: and that sounds like too many problems for a gun costing more than 500.

i'd prefer a cheaper cost, but i'd be willing to dish it out for a decent gun. anybody got any info?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike....links like that do not work on this forum...
I know the one you are speaking of.....
its on an auction site! Thats why your link wont work!!!

I have a Texas Paterson (no loading lever) you have to place a special lever in the cylinder spindle to load. Or you can buy a loading stand there are several out there from 15 bucks on up. Mine is a Pietta, and I have had no problems with it or finding caps. I am in the process of making the presentation setup for it. and buying the special paterson equipment a piece at a time. Bought the special loading flask at a gun show for $25 american. I have the brass cap box now just need the capper, and cleaning rod for it. don't buy the one at Dixie it don't work for it. I have a Hunter holster I am currently using but the Paterson holster at Dixie is next on my list. I have even used it in civil war reenacting while playing with Morgan's Raiders since Gano's regiment was from Texas, and a few were Rangers.

I have two. One a Uberty with loading lever that
needed no work cept the nipples were for a #9 cap.
I changed those to accept a #10. Works perfect..
The other crapper was a something sold cheap.easy
to spot as all the corners were square.Whata mess.
A friend completely remade it with rounded butt,
new trigger,bolt,hand, and even silver bands even
on the spare cylinder...oh! did i mention ivory
grips..and engraved top of the barrel...I would
post pictures but didn't want to get into that..
both have had the cylinders reamed to .380 and
shoot like a 38 special...Now I have two perfect
Patersons...

Dear Sir,
I had one years ago from Navy Arms. I didn't use it much and then a spring broke. I sent it to 2 different people to fix and finally back to navy arms. They said the part MIGHT be in in 6 mo-1 year. They graciously took it back and sent 2 colt 60s which were later sold for my wife' engagement ring.
If you look at the parts diagram, pattersons have a LOT of parts. Hard to fix. Colts/Remingtons few parts, easy to fix.
Personally, unless I had a LOT of cash, I would pass.
Respectfully,
David

Percussion Pistols And Revolvers: History, Performance and Practical Use by Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates, available on Amazon. Excellent reference work on replica pistols.

I have had one for quite awhile. Bought it from a reenactor that was moving to Mass. Not a lot of Gold Rush Reenactments there. :wink:

Anyway, it is tough to load, and a lot of work for a shooting range pistol. For a shooter, I stick with a '51. But for an appropriate reenactment, the Paterson is the one on my belt.

Where can you get a 3 handled bullet mold and the embossed Paterson Colt capper? Even VTI doesnt stock them any more...even the loading tools are getting tougher to find...but if you like them in the least, that tiny little voice wont rest till you get one...
TCA

gun1.jpg

If I hadn't traded about 15 years ago for this uberti patterson I probably wouldn't have one. Of all the black powder shooting I do, the closest contact with history for me is the patterson. It seems it was such an important change in firearm. Just finished making a holster for it. Don't have too many accessories, have an extra cylinder and loading tool, which broke on me and had to have it fixed. Would like a cleaning rod and a capper. I changed the front sight so I can hit point of aim out to 20 yards or so. The fired caps tie up the cylinder but I guess that is the nature of the pistol. There is just something about the gun that you have to like. Sam Colt came around at the right time, he made better guns later on. To bad they are all so pricey.

Teton Ted

Replica Arms was the first importer of the Paterson "Texas" Model. It had no loading lever and was offered in 6", 7 1/2", 9", and 12"(extra cost)barrel lengths. The markings on these Patersons was a double diamond and MOFRA. I have yet to discover who the actual manufacturer was. Uberti started producing the Paterson for Navy Arms in early 1960's. Pietta did not arrive on the scene until 1964-65. Pedersoli also made the Texas Paterson. I have only seen one of these in over 15yrs of research and it was in an American Historical Foundation Paterson commemorative set.

If anyone has ever seen a Texas Paterson(no loading lever) in any barrel length other than the 9" please post it. Uberti made the 7 1/2" barrel in both the Texas (no LL) and the Belt Model with loading lever. These are no longer made and are selling for over $500 if you can find one. The Pietta will probably break $500 very soon because of the U.S. Monopoly Money that Obama is printing and limited production.

Here's a pair of Uberti Pats with 7 1/2" barrels and charcoal blue finish.The top one has seen quite a bit of use and the lower is like new and unfired.
pats2.jpg

Latest posts

Back