• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 caliber multi purpose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've not found much in the search function regarding this.

There are several conical bullets for .32 caliber. The most common is a 125 grain.
What I don't see is a lot of load data for such.
What velocity could this 125 grain achieve?

The uses for a 45 or 50 grain PRB at 1200 fps seem to be in the realm of what someone would consider a 22LR or 22Mag appropriate for.

I'm thinking of a 125gr conical primarily for Javelina, but we also have Blackbuck in the 75 pound range, Whitetail (especially does) less than 90 pounds and quite a variety of sizes of hogs on our Texas property. My two youngsters and other young'uns often use a crossbow in our 25 yard "Kids Blind" where the shot is close and there is a solid rest. The crossbow is very effective but some of them would love to "shoot a gun" instead of archery equipment.

Torn. If I knew real ballistics it would make the decision easier. Any direct knowledge or experience with .32 and/or opinions on this?

Thank you

I'm going to add that we've used a .358 air rifle with a 125 grain projectile going 750-800 fps successfully for some of the game listed (and others) and it worked pretty good. This seems similar.

I've never hunted anything but small game with my .36. I can tell you that just a smidgen of powder gives good velocities with prb, which is all I ever use. I would not hesitate to shoot javelina with a .36 and 35 to 50 grains of 3F. Deer, well, should work with prb just fine if one is a reasonably good shot. JMO.

:shocked2: Ooops! Sorry but I read .36 instead of .32 when responding to your post. I still believe a prb in a .32 will take javelina and even small deer but at closer ranges. The .32 will develop very high velocities but the ball is so small. A conical would be fine for it absolutely.

See if you can find a old Thompson Center manual, I even think there is one here on the forum. In the manual they had loads for .32 conicals that were used in their Cherokee model, and in one of their in-lines.

Sparkitoff said:
The uses for a 45 or 50 grain PRB at 1200 fps seem to be in the realm of what someone would consider a 22LR or 22Mag appropriate for.

I have a lot of experience on small game with that loading. In fact it's a whole lot more destructive than 22LR and perhaps even more than 22mag. Better stick to head shots unless you really enjoy cleaning up bloodshot meat.

The difference appears to be in the diameter. The 32 is as large or larger than an already-expanded 22 cal bullet.... Kinda like hitting them with a hollowpoint 22mag that expanded before it got to the impact point. A hollowpoint 22mag does a whole lot of damage on the back side of a critter once it expands going through, but imagine starting all that damage on the front side.

My standard load these days for small game hunting with 32 cal is only 10 grains of 3f. And I'm still careful not to drop my shots down into the neck, or I'll for-sure lose the front shoulders.

Latest posts

Back