• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.31 baby dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah done good! As we say down here. If you're really curious about it, try to photograph or describe any proof marks or any other signs or symbols on it. We should be able to figure out the actual maker and date from the marks required for importation. :thumbsup:

CaptainKirk said:
Problem is, .320-.323 moulds are sort of hard to come by.

That IS a problem. I picked up enough pre-made balls to stall for time but I'd hate to keep having to buy them.

the easiest stuff to get for these little guns is .00 buck that they use in federal shotgun shells. it comes out to .323 and seats perfectly in my fie baby dragoon. or you can order them from track of the wolf

I've got an 00 buckshot mold and they are awfully small to use as a single ball. I never measured my cast buckshot but 00 is supposed to be .330" in diameter.

they do have few different sizes as some manufacturers do vary, I got the ones I use out of some federal shells I had lying around. at the time I bought the gun I was trying to find balls for it at the local shop and all they had were .310" for rifles. there was an old guy there and he kind of jumped in the discussion I was having with the guy behind the counter,and he said he used .00 buck in his .31 pocket Remington. I picked up a box of federals on the shelf and sure enough it said their .00 buck shot size as .323" ever since then I have been using it in mine and it shoots better and has a tighter seal than any of the other balls I have tried.

I just looked at a box again, I guess they are .330" but they still work perfectly and shave a nice little ring when I seat them.

Will try some thank you. I did use .315 and they fit snug but no ring. Shot good enough 6" group at 15 yds (off the corolla roof mind you). I need some 10 caps though my CCI # 11 mags were getting pulled out one at a time with tweezers!

Very fun lil gun. I'm happy. I will "soon" learn how to ost some ics, would love to know year made etc. Its an FIE and looked unfired.

Enjoy your weekend!

i'm kinda lucky, there are 3 gunshops near me that stock muzzle loading supplies for both rifles and pistols so for me they are easy to find. one of the stores also sells cap and ball revolvers both new and used. as a matter of fact they have a cva 1860 army for sale for $150. I like the look of it a lot but usually don't like the open tops on the bigger frames as much as I like the '58 remingtons. I can't decide if I want to buy it or save the money for the stainless Remington cabela's has for sale

I like .323 balls for my Ulberti 1849 Colt. If you can find soft buck shot it is fine. Chilled buck shot is pretty hard. Track of the wolf sells .319, .320 and .323 round balls. Lee sells a .319 mold i have heard it toughs .320 ball using soft lead. I think it wood work fine. I am going to buy one and enlarge it to .323.

the round balls that track of the wolf sells has a big flat spot on it, I guess from where they broke it out of the mold. not that big of a deal, I just line it up with the rammer when I seat them in the cylinder but still more work I have to pay attention to. instead I like either hornady buckshot or whatever the shot federal uses in their shells is. like I said it works perfect, plus being little bigger in diameter it gives it a bit bigger bearing surface for the rifling to grab onto which aids in accuracy

I will look around for the number and send it to you when I find it, but I think you still hae to pay hazmat on it.

Ya i know but I sure would like to get 3-4 tins of # 10. Bout 1K 11''s but cant shoot w/o a lotta hassle with the baby dragoon and would like to use em in my 1858 too! TY

Anybody else know of a source for # 10's?

check out cci's website if you put in your zip code they will tell you where there is a dealer near you to get their percussion caps.

you know if #10's are too hard to find it might be more cost effective in the long run to just switch out the nipples on your guns to #11 nipples from either track of the wolf or Dixie gun works. between the hazmat fees and having to buy large quantities all at once, plus the hassle of trying to actually find someone with them in stock, it just usually turns out to be less of a pia. plus less downtime if you are a serious shooter or at least get a chance to shoot often being that you don't have to sit around and wait as #11's are much more readily available.

I was just on track of the wolf they have them for about $5 for either the pocket colts or pocket rems. they both take the same nipple

Back