• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd season opener in central Illinois

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
OK, this time I made double sure the rifle was clean and ready. Didn't want another missfire like I had 1st season. :wink:

The weatherman was calling for mid-30s and a NW wind at 10-20mph. They hit the temp about right but the wind had more West in it than was supposed to be. And gusty.

I stepped out of the field and into the thickets just as shooting light broke. Two coons were wrasslin' down in the holler and makin' all sorts of ruckus as I eased my way into a good spot to sit. The plan was to get in closer to where I saw the bruiser buck 1st season that I didn't get a shot at. I ended up about 20 yards above where I hoped to see him.

About 7:20 there were walking noises coming up the hill off to my left. Getting closer. Finally I catch a glimpse of brownish fur thru the brush but it ain't a deer. Coyote. He walked right up to about 20 feet from my left. I had the sights on him trying to decide if I would shoot or not. Well coyotes must not be color blind 'cause when he stepped clear of a bush and caught a glance at my orange he exploded right outta there. :haha:

5 minutes later a young buck steps out down in the bottom on the other side of the creek and just stands there. He's too small for me to shoot. Maybe he'll grow up some day. Anyway, after a few minutes he gets real spooky and runs away. Wasn't me that scairt him. Maybe he saw the coyote? Maybe there's a big buck coming? :hmm:

A few minutes go by and I hear grunting, rubbing noises, and some other weird noises coming my way. It's gotta be that biggun! Then I hear him turn and cross the creek. Dang!
Then I catch a glimpse of him. He ain't the biggun I seen before or even the sorta biggun I popped caps at. He's a REALLY BIGGUN! Holy cow! And it looks like he's going to come out right where the little one just was standing!

I get all ready, rifle propped up on my knee staring down the sights, cocked and set, waiting... waiting... where's he at? There! He took the other fork and is on a trail 10 yards higher up the other side and in really THICK brush! Only one small opening to shoot thru on that trail and he's almost there. Hurry up and get on him! BOOM!

The shot felt wrong. I rushed it. :doh: :doh: :doh: He trots off onto the neighbors property without a scratch. I MISSED! ARRRGGGHHH! Strike 3!

So I do my duty and go searching in vain for any sign of a hit. There was none.

I didn't want to walk back down thru the valley and leave any more sign for the deer to know I was there so I walk all the way around back to where I started. Ended up sitting about 30 yards away from where I sat before. The view is more restricted but the shots will be closer and clearer if they come. This rub was about 15 yards below me.
HPIM0914.jpg

11:00 and I hear leaves crunching over where I was before. There's a group of does and bambis coming up the trail. 4 or 5 at least Can't tell for sure thru the brush. The front doe is headed toward an opening and I swing the muzzle of my GPR that way but she stops short. There's a small opening there too right where I need it to be. BOOM again.

She jumped, spun around, jumped twice more and fell down. Then she jumped right back up and the whole pack of 'em scatters and hightails it outta there. I sit down and wait about ten minutes to go and look.

There's hair and blood where she stood when I shot then nothing for 15-20 yards. Then the blood trail starts. kinda spotty for another ten yards then turns into this.
HPIM0917.jpg

Easy to follow all the way to the deer. :thumbsup:

She ran 75-100 yards all together before she piled up. All the way to the deepest hole she could find. The ball hit toward the rear of the left lung, between 2 ribs, angled forward and exited right in the center of the right lung, again between 2 ribs. Hit nothing but lungs as far as internal damage. .490 ball/ .020 ox-yoke pre-lubed/ 75g 2F Goex. Freezer is full. :thumbsup:
Now maybe I can get one with a rack in my sights and not manage to screw it up again... :redface: :shake:

Nice fat doe. Don't know what she weighed, but she was plenty heavy hauling her up outta there.

09doewhereshefell.jpg

12-03-09doe.jpg

Way to go, good eats, :hatsoff: Now you got a freezer full you can go get them horns. good luck!
:v

Good read, I like it when a mans penned words kinda "put you there" I've missed um and hit um, just as you did in that story.( I think I hate the misses more than you let on though) :wink:

Looking forward to chapter 2.

Thanks. I'm glad you guys like reading my stories.

Looking forward to chapter 2

:haha: I'll see what I can do for ya tomorrow.

BTW, I forgot to say the doe was at about 30 yards when I shot.

maybe that buck clear out of Peoria county to Woodford up the Mackinaw River to My stand. I will let you know. I got to tell ya I believe as far as a challenge and a trophy a mature doe like the one you harvested is every bit as much of a challenge as a rutting buck maybe more. They are smart.

Them older does are smart critters. The thing that makes 'em hardest to kill is the fact that they run with other deer. More eyes, ears and noses to get past.

Way to go, Jethro! Good hunting. :thumbsup: One of them big bucks is bound to run outta luck. Looking forward to reading about your next hunt. GW

Good story jethro...and congratulations on the Doe.

That big rub ??
That's ain't no rub...looks like a care hit that tree !!
:grin:

Now you are obligated for next year to post a story and photo of you taking that big boy!

Well done! :thumbsup: Is it me or is the coloring on that doe a little odd? I guess I'm used to more white around the nose and mouth.

Edit: Actually the color looks right. Great story by the way. I enjoy hearing the story behind the harvest. :thumbsup:

Nice hunt. Great post. She looks to be about 175 lbs. live weight, and 120 lbs. dressed. She's only 1 1/2 years old, looking at her muzzle. Good sized deer that is typical for corn and soybean country. Congratulations. :hatsoff:

Congratulations! Great story on a great hunt! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Back