• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st (Annual?) Rondezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GobblerKnob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just in from the 2 day hunt that Bob1961, RiverRat and I did. We had a splendid time! You couldn't have asked for nicer hunting weather! Saw plenty of deer, got in a little shooting at them, and generally had a good time. We covered a lot of terrain and saw plenty of deer sign, if not the actual deer themselves. Unbelievably, we saw 4 antlered deer this afternoon! I snuck up on a bedded spike and 3 bucks filed past Bob1961, well within range. Unfortunately, both our buck tags have been long filled. RiverRat spotted a large buck at quitting time, but it was just a little far for the old GPR, he was totin'. We're looking forward to next year and hope that a couple others might join us.

L - R: Bob1961, Me, RiverRat. Take note of the large buck head in the back ground. We found this beauty in some heavy hemlocks yesterday. I'm sure the hunter who couldn't find him was sick over it! He has 8 very nice tines and his OS spread is 19.5" Happy New Year! Rick

189e2c43.jpg

I would like to add that Rick's son Zach, cooked up some of the best venison chili this side of the Susquehanna! Luckly, GobblerKnob provided enough Yeungling,(America's Oldest Brew), to put out the fire. :) Yes, it was a Great Hunt Indeed!

Sounds like you guys did have a good time let me know if you have a spot open next time maybe we can hook up .

we did have a blast and i know how stumpy got his name emptying our rifles at days end into stumps :crackup:....sorry stumpy had to say that....other then that it was a great time was had....did cover lots of miles....and found out gobbler isn't 25 no more ::....finaly got to put faces to the words on the screen here....next year we hope to have a bigger picture of more guys in it......................bob

I'm not sure about this congergating thing. The 'puter keeps us at a safe distance and prevents the multiplication of mischief and misinformation. Getting various segments of this bunch together may not be a good idea.

What if the health department finds out?

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

What if the health department finds out?

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

That could happen, they did eat the chili, you know... :rolleyes: :crackup:

No one can ever have enough friends, this could be the start of a life long hunting relationship that will expand for generations when your kids continue what you started and hunt together...

GobblerKnob, Bob1961 & RiverRat, did you get a chance to shoot each other's guns?

funny that you mentioned that....no never thought of it :hmm:....maybe a week from saturday....when we head back there.................bob

That sounded like a great time. Maybe someday I can make it over there for a while... :thumbsup:

looks like a hell of a good time to me. maybe i could venture that way nexy year if ya have the room? i have never hunted outside of NY yet. getting the urge to take a short trip though and PA is close.
Ken

It does look like it was a great time and I'm sorry I missed it. Hopefully the graciousness can be extended next time? I went to French Creek Mon. into Tues. and took a small six point. First kill with a ML. Used my Lyman GPR. I wanted to head north to meet up with you guys but the timing was a little off. Must have been for the best though, I am still thrilled about my kill even if it was a littun.

Does anyone know...a buddy of mine has a doe tag he didn't use and doesn't hunt ML. Its for Lehigh County (PA). Is that transferable to another hunter/county?

Oh Man,

You guys are killin' me. Looks like a lot of fun. Hey Rick what will it cost a feller to hunt up there. I guess you have to buy a non-resident license. I'm sure there's no 3 day or 6 day or anything like that.

I was just thinking if it's like here in WV ya might as well buy it early and enjoy the whole year of huntin'!

YMH&OS,
Chuck

Sounds like fun. I 'll have to see about going down there next year.
If this was a Rondy did you make up little cast medals commerating the First Annual Muzzleloading Forum Gobblerknob Rondevous and Deer Scare?
:haha:

If this was a Rondy did you make up little cast medals commerating the First Annual Muzzleloading Forum Gobblerknob Rondevous and Deer Scare?
:haha:

hey rick yar a thunder stick maker....sounds like an idea to me....won't be ard hammering a round ball flat and ya can bring yur own ball....

far as i is knowin our lic is 101.50 plus the stamps............bob

This sounds like a real good time & a great oportunity to get to know some of the members of the forum. If the invite is open next year, I'd like to join in.

Sorry, Hota, tags/licenses are not transferable. Even being caught traveling to or from your hunting area while in possesion is a violation. Sounds like you have the perfect opportunity to encourage another to join the ranks.
As far as the next rondezvous goes, I believe we'd have room for a couple more. Hopefully, younger and in better shape than me! ::
NR licenses will cost $101. The deer tag you get with the license is for antlered deer only, except during the flintlock season. You must purchase a flintlock stamp by 13 Nov (this year's cutoff.) The antlered deer tag that comes with your general hunting license can be used to kill either sex only during the flintlock season.
The season opens the day after Christmas, unless that day is Sunday. Next year, because Christmas will be on a Sunday, it will open on Monday, the 26th of December. All of your questions pertaining to the rules and regs can be found on the PGC website at: www.pgc.state.pa.us. Rick

Sorry, Hota, tags/licenses are not transferable. Even being caught traveling to or from your hunting area while in possesion is a violation.

Reminds me of a question I've pondered over for years...maybe you have an answer based on your line of work.

I understand the simple basics wildlife management, range carrying capacities, etc, that help feed planning to establish a target harvest, which results in license forecasts and subsequently the number of various "tags" issued for a given season, even different sections of a state...for deer, bear, turkeys, etc.

So a target harvest is set and a number of tags made available in hopes of achieving that harvest...IE: here in NC I get 6 deer tags...we don't 'buy' individual tags...we buy a big game license and it comes complete with with 6 deer, 2 bear, 2 turkey, etc...a package deal.

So let's say I can only hunt a couple weekends a year (God forbid) so I can't possibly use all those tags, and my contribution will fall short of achieving the target harvest.

Let's say my neighbor is retired and hunts as much as he can...fills all his tags every year...but has to stop halfway through the season because he runs out of tags.

So the $64,000 question is this...why on earth are laws passed to prohibit the handing off of legally purchased tags that one hunter can't use to another hunter that can?

The end game is still the[url] same...in[/url] the current scenario, I might only take one deer and retired neighbor takes his 6 and the total contribution of 7 deer against DNR's target harvest falls short at barely over 50%.

But if I could give him my spare 5 tags, and my retired neighbor hunts on and fills them, the total contribution to DNR is 12 tags filled, exactly what DNR planned for...it would simply be one hunter taking 1, the other hunter taking 11...still 12 deer...same end game.

So I don't get it...wondered if you knew the rationale up in PA for laws against transferring tags as you mentioned in your post?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back