• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1817 US Millbury

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbackpage

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Looking for info on 1817 US Millbury back of lock has J.B.F stamped on it. Flintlock. Thanks Roark

I am sorry, but I am not sure what gun you are talking about. The following are lists of U.S. Military Rifles and Muskets that would be correct for the date of the lock and Millbury is a town in Conn. rather than a contractor.

On M1814 Rifles:
This was the U.S. Model 1814 rifle designed by Robert T. Wickham.[1] Two manufacturers made this type, Henry Deringer of Philadelphia and R. Johnston of Connecticut https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_1814_common_rifle

On M1817 Rifles:
After producing the Model 1814 common rifle through contractors, the military decided to do the same with the Model 1817. The Harper's Ferry Arsenal produced a pattern weapon, which was then taken to gunsmiths to be copied.[2] The rifle was built by Henry Deringer of Philadelphia (13,000 made), Nathan Starr & Co. of Middleton, Conn. (10,200 made), Simeon North of Middleton, Conn. (7,200 made), R. Johnson of Middleton, Conn. (5,000 made), R. & J. D. Johnson of Middleton, Conn. (3,000 made).[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_1817_common_rifle

On 1816 Muskets: Contractors
J. Baker - Philadelphia, Pa. - Type I11
P. & E. W. Blake - Old Whitney contract - Type I1 E. Buell - Marlboro, Conn. - Type I, possibly Type 11
A. Carruth - Greenville, S. C. - Type I B. Evans - Philadelphia, Pa. - Type I, 11, and I11
W. L. Evans - Evansburg , Pa., marked "VALLEY FORGE" - Type I and I1
R. & J. D. Johnson - Middletown, Conn. - Type 11 and I11 D. Nippes - Mill Creek, Pa. - Type I11
H. Osborne - Springfield, Mass. - Type I, 11, and I11
L. Pomeroy - Pittsfield, Mass. - Type I, 11, and I11
N. Starr - Middleton, Conn. - Type 11, possibly Type 111
A. Waters - Millbury, Conn. - Type I, 11, and I11 Eli Whitney - New Haven, Conn. - Type I, 11, and I11 M. T. Whickham - Philadelphia, Pa. - Type I and I1
By R. N. Kennedy, Jr.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
We're going to have to have photos to be aboel to be of any helo. Theree is no Milbury who made military muskets or rifles from 1795, through a d past 1817 and no J.B.F. wh was an inspector as the initials would suggest. The inspectors would have stamped the stock rather than the lock. There was a J.P.Farley who worked for the government during the mid 1870's but inspected Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers, so he's out. Without photos, there's no way to help.

Wes/Tex said:
We're going to have to have photos to be aboel to be of any helo. Theree is no Milbury who made military muskets or rifles from 1795, through a d past 1817 and no J.B.F. wh was an inspector as the initials would suggest. The inspectors would have stamped the stock rather than the lock. There was a J.P.Farley who worked for the government during the mid 1870's but inspected Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers, so he's out. Without photos, there's no way to help.

I wonder if the initials are either an Assembly Inspector's Mark or a State Inspector's Mark?

Gus

http://s1064.photobucket.com

Photos of 1817 Millbury Flint Lock - one stamp on the barrel is NH wondering if New Hampshire militia (?) Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Roark

Last edited by a moderator:
Roark,

OK, first of all it is definitely an M1816, Smoothbore Musket and most probably .69 cal.

The lock has a modern reproduction top jaw and top jaw screw, though they are in keeping with the original lock. It is interesting there is a rust “ghost image” of the main spring at full cock. Was the mainspring and mainspring retaining screw missing when you got the piece? BTW, reproduction mainsprings and retaining screws are available, should you wish to replace them.

The way the Millbury mark is placed, seems to in keeping with how A. Waters (of Millbury, Conn.) marked his contractor muskets. No other civilian contractor is listed from that town, so it is very plausible this is one of the early muskets he made.

Yes, the NH on the barrel is in keeping with a New Hampshire militia musket, sold to the state by the Federal Government - due to the US mark on the lock.

Gus

I believe there was another contractor of the 1816 model a "B" Evans out of Philadelphia, as I have one with those markings also. I have the book US Martial Flintlocks by Robert M Reilly and he mentions the maker on page 101. He also stated that it was a type 1 and was rarely encountered with only a single specimen know to him.

Back