• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1766 charleville engraving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all I just received my 1766 charleville kit from dixie gun works. I am a little stumped. The engraving says cbarleville .I called them up and they told me that's how its been for years. Any one have one with the same issue and understand why. Need to figure a way to fix.Thanks again all.Hawkeyes

You sure it's not a heavy cursive h with the bottom of the letter more of a circle?

My Pedersoli Charleville looks like a b too.

Here you go

Attachments

• 20230208_170856.jpg
    20230208_170856.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like the laser engraver left some burn marks.

But it's definitely not a b.

I would disassemble the lock and polish the plate to try and remove the burnt area.

Stylized "h". I don't know what font it is, but there are fonts that are pretty much illegible to modern readers. The "b" in that font would look different. Gimme a minute to consult my printer's reference material.... OK, back now. The font bears some resemblance to some of the fonts in Appendix II, Popular Imports of the book American Metal Typefaces of the Twentieth Century, by Mac McGrew. This is a rather rare title that is out of print. I obtained mine from a rare book dealer in London. Yeah, it was a pricey reference book that will never leave my library until I have croaked.

The fonts Rhapsodie and Stradivarius in that section have a similarly styled capital "C" and "h". The "b" characters in both fonts look very much like the "h". My best guess: decorative Italian font, possibly an italicized version. It also looks somewhat like certain script fonts, but as the letters do not connect as they would in a true script font, they are not scripts.

So, in a nutshell, it's spelled correctly in a decorative font with legibility issues. Be glad it is not done in anything like Blackletter

Yeah, I am a hobbyist letterpress printer as well. JOAT is what I am I guess.

Last edited:
Well one thing i can say for sure is that original charleville’s were engraved by hand, and didn’t look nearly as nice or perfect. The lockplates were also pretty thin, which meant the engraving needed to be shallow and a little wider / larger.

Last edited:
I found a picture of an original M1777 lockplate

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_417762

The engraving is rather different from that shown above

and here i found a photo of an original lockplate M1766 Charleville

https://www.americanrevolutioninsti...le-musket-detail-1-lock-Finkenstaedt-2008.jpg
Thank you for confirming what I thought I try to get in touch with pendersoli when I purchased a kit from Dixie gunworks the hwas laser to look like a b and they cannot do anything for me. The answer I got from Dixie was that's how they come Show up setting

Thank you for confirming what I thought I try to get in touch with pendersoli when I purchased a kit from Dixie gunworks the hwas laser to look like a b and they cannot do anything for me. The answer I got from Dixie was that's how they come Show up setting

Not for nothing but … I think your expectations are little too high for a factory CNC made repro musket. Sounds like what you’d want is a custom made 1763 or 1766.

Not for nothing but … I think your expectations are little too high for a factory CNC made repro musket. Sounds like what you’d want is a custom made 1763 or 1766.

Here is a 1763 rifle shoppe lock
I assembled from castings and engraved.

Attachments

• FF6DD4B6-CB4A-4A82-A74C-B550CF5A0CAD.jpeg
    FF6DD4B6-CB4A-4A82-A74C-B550CF5A0CAD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8D821AD8-7BE5-4CD3-9B96-773B9ACC1EAC.png
    8D821AD8-7BE5-4CD3-9B96-773B9ACC1EAC.png
    10 MB · Views: 0
  • 8FF29A62-B25E-4418-B9CD-E8A76C71B8C8.png
    8FF29A62-B25E-4418-B9CD-E8A76C71B8C8.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 0
Not really I just expect people to do there job.

Well the expectation that a repro with modern stamps and proofs be hand engraved under warranty is … unrealistic. These are mass produced to meet a minimum standard. I recently did one I felt that the stock was average quality with a poorly made trigger and guard.however the kit turned out nicely.

The best 1763 originals are heavily flawed, no two are identical.

What you have is a very good quality representation of a later model 1763 produced around 1765.

Attachments

• 4C3FFD63-EBA1-4EB2-8F7A-42C0132B77C2.jpeg
    4C3FFD63-EBA1-4EB2-8F7A-42C0132B77C2.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 43A9ACD5-31A8-4B1A-A3BC-B78FF9B274BB.jpeg
    43A9ACD5-31A8-4B1A-A3BC-B78FF9B274BB.jpeg
    975.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back