• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1:66 twist rate and concials

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encorepete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm buying a 1:66 T/C round ball renegade in .54 caliber. I have acquired a number of .54 caliber hornady great plains 425g bullets. Was wondering if anyone has experience with concials in this twist rate type barrel. Thanks. Pete

All you can do is try by working up a load.

Try them both with and without a wad.

I can shoot them really well in a .54 1:66 with 65gr 3F Goex and a wonderwad.

I have shot hundreds of TC Maxi-Balls from my CVA .54 with 1-66 twist. Powder charges have been light to OH-SHot That Hurts! Best accuracy in MY gun was around 90gr Pyrodex RS or same load of GOEX ffg. There is felt recoil! But MY rifle shoots 3 shot clover leafs with it. I have never tried the Hornady slugs cause I had a TC mold and used it a lot. All you can do is try them in your rifle with charges from light to heavy and see where they hit. If you hold your tongue right, the bullet will hit the target someplace!

Ialways try cons out of any 1x66 I get all of them will shoot some kind or another,Ive found start with one as tall as it is wide before the nose curve and try the next weight up till it doesnt work, that and speed seems to have a lot to do with it the R.E.A.Ls seem to work great in all rifles. :front: :front:

Like fw said, the REALs have worked for some of my friends. I think it is bacause they are short, they stabilize more easily than the longer bullets.
:results:

Back