• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your most "INCREDABLE" shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had lots of unusual shots in my life. But one of the best was the very first deer I killed with BP. I used to scout for a "special" buck for a day or two before trying to zero in on him. Well, I found a lot of sign of a buck using in a small area. And On the 3rd day of hunting I jumped him in very thick brush and didn't see him when he left his bed. I back tracked him for about a 1/4 mi. and found where he crossed a ridge on his way to bedding. Next morning I was there 1 hr before day. About 45 min after daybreak I heard him coming. When he showed he was walking slowly but always behind low brush except I could see his head which was bouncing up and down at about 60 yd. But I decided anyway to take the shot and fired. The buck hit the ground and thrashed around several seconds while I was reloading knowing he was mine. But he jumped up and was gone in a flash. I walked up to the spot and saw the ground litter much disturbed and VERY FINE HAIR covering the ground. I followed his tracks about 300 yd. and found no blood. He was heading for his bedding area. I went back to where I had fired from and relocated my ground stand a few feet away. Next morning I am back on the ridge 1 hr before light in my new stand. At early light I hear him coming. I cock the hammer and set the trigger. He stopped moving for a while then continued to cross the ridge right in front of me and stopped about 50 yd from me and looked right at me. BOOM. He hit the ground. On examination I found that he had a .50 cal. hole through his right ear. I had shot the same deer two days in a row. This was in the western VA mountains in 1970. Sorry for the long post.

85 yards just before close of shooting for the day. 5 minutes later and both deer and sights were impossible to see. That's about as incredible as it gets.

A couple that I made with my .50 caliber Renegade. Many, many years ago.

First I was practising behind the barn. We had a beagle at that time and she was running a rabbit in the standing cornfield next to where I was shooting. I had fired several shots at 50 yards and had just reloaded and pulled up to shoot again when that rabbit ran broadside past my target. I swing on it and shoot and roll the rabbit.

Second my Dad had wounded a buck. Several of us tracked it across an orchard. Got to the next property line and one friend and I started into a small field with chest high weeds. Another friend was to my right just inside a tree line. He barely walked into the woods when he jumped a buck. He yelled "there he goes!" Just then the buck came out of the woods about 75 yards away in a big bounding leap. I pulled up and shot just as he reached the top of his next leap. He disappeared in the cloud of smoke, and my buddy in the field yells "nice shot!" I had hit him in the neck and he was dead when he hit the ground. Turned out it wasn't the buck dad had wounded.

Now for balance there was the time I plum clean missed a small buck standing broadside at 30 yards with that Renegade. Went back to the buildings and shot offhand (in front of my buddies) at a target 50 yards away and it was a perfect X. That miss was 25 years ago and still bothers me.

A) Well 1st of all, lets hear the story...
2) Second off you need to get some more hunting in. :wink:

Oh the coyote was about 40 yards away, up hill and runing between trees when I spoted him. It was an instant thing, I saw it and I shouldered my .410 loaded with a slug and fired, the coyote droped in his tracks. There was only a few inches between the two trees that the bullet went between. Instant dirt nap. I probably couldn't pull off that shot again. It was all instinct and no thought.

I stopped short of my blind to take a leak so I didn't stink up my hunting area and my hunting partner went towards his blind. He jumper up a nice 9 point that ran right up to be at 10 yards while in mid-flow I grabbed the gun leaning on the tree cocked the hammer and fired dropped the buck and didn't pee on myself, that was more impressive then a 10 yard shot but its a story that makes the shot spectacular.

many years ago I was hunting rabbits with 1851 36 cal revolver--had pistol in my hand--rabbit took of just close to my feet--I just threw up my pistol cocking as I swiftly shot--hitting rabbit in the head just a few feet away from me :thumbsup:

There was a squirrel about 50 ft up in a tree, and all I could see was the top of his head over the branch. Not his whole head, just the top. I was sitting on the ground about 30 feet from the tree, so it was a good upward angle. I hadn't had any shots for several days, so I figured I might as well try.

As I was aiming I thought "If I make this shot it will be a miracle". Pulled the trigger, squirrel fell out of the tree, minus the top of his head.

I was truly surprised when he fell.

Latest posts

Back