• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yet Another Colt ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is added to the stable of 2nd Gens...
7185.JPG

Probably paid too much for a non-collectible (no box or papers), in slightly marred condition (left side of grip), but very good metal (possibly unfired) condition.

Question: Is a "short arbor" indicated when you can tighten the wedge so far the cylinder won't rotate? I've always just accepted that this was just a part of the Colt C&B/open top design.

If I had Colt with a binding cylinder after the wedge was fully inserted, I'd shave a hair or two off the face of the forcing cone.

Problem solved.

On my Colts, the wedge is stopped by the wedge retaining screw. Once the wedge hits that screw, the wedge can go no farther.

So the gap will not keep closing up.

PS: The short arbor crowd will be on this thread like white on rice.

Last edited:
Question: Is a "short arbor" indicated when you can tighten the wedge so far the cylinder won't rotate? I've always just accepted that this was just a part of the Colt C&B/open top design.

Yes, Phil Coffins is correct.

If I had Colt with a binding cylinder after the wedge was fully inserted, I'd shave a hair or two off the face of the forcing cone.

Problem solved.
Nope,1. it still has a short arbor and assemblies will be free to move. 2. It's not to Colt's design.

On my Colts, the wedge is stopped by the wedge retaining screw. Once the wedge hits that screw, the wedge can go no farther.

So the gap will not keep closing up.

Same thing. It still has a short arbor, you just don't need a feeler gauge.😅. Assemblies are still free to move around - not to Colt's design.

PS: The short arbor crowd will be on this thread like white on rice.

Maybe so, but then the "short arbor crowd" was asked a question . . .
He might want to fix his instead of fake "workarounds".

Mike

Last edited:
Griff,
I‘ve given your question, and problem some serious thought. Even though it would be a slight hardship, I’m willing to give you a shade less than half of what you paid for the Navy. I need another Second Generation Colt like I need a hole in the head. But I’m prepared to make room for another unwanted Colt. It would sure ease my mind knowing that I’ve helped another enthusiast in unburdening himself from such a mental, emotional load. And, I would even pay for shipping.

Thats the kinda warm, caring, helping guy I am…:thumb::cool:

Griff,
I‘ve given your question, and problem some serious thought. Even though it would be a slight hardship, I’m willing to give you a shade less than half of what you paid for the Navy. I need another Second Generation Colt like I need a hole in the head. But I’m prepared to make room for another unwanted Colt. It would sure ease my mind knowing that I’ve helped another enthusiast in unburdening himself from such a mental, emotional load. And, I would even pay for shipping.

Thats the kinda warm, caring, helping guy I am…:thumb::cool:
I do appreciate the offer and the obvious spirit in which it was given, but will take this opportunity to decline. Like the other 1851 Navies that have found their way here, they've found a home... like Golden Labrador puppies, they're just too lovable, and knowing their ultimult grace and style, ensures welcome. Whether short arbor or not, it still needs a Manhattan Conversion & coil hand spring to make the necessary modifications to make it's design perfect... and suitable for competition. Of course, this is just one man's opinion. Other's are welcome to theirs. No internet debates invited.

Tho' I have to admit that the Belt Model of 1851 is only surpassed by the Paterson for it's beauty...Which shows the lack of foresight by Colt for not having produced a re-issue of that firearm.

And yes, 45D, I will fix the short arbor... as I've begun to do on it's brothers.

Someone should start a Short Arbor Thread.

PS: That looks nice.

Oh please, I've been keeping fingers crossed that no one would start another one or start posting on what-the three other ones that have been saturating the Handgun section of this forum all spring and summer. The last two have been nothing but a rehash of the first one. Same O' Same O' !!!!!!!! 🤪😅

Griff,
I do love those yellow Labs. Had one for years.
If you ever wake up in the middle of the night, busting out in a cold sweat from a bad case of buyer‘s remorse, I just want you to know, I’m here for you. :cool:

I do have a Signature Series Paterson. It’s a thing of beauty. :thumb::cool:

Doesn't really make much difference in the result or fix, but has anybody ever measured the length of the arbor on a Colt reproduction vs the original. And then compared the arbor hole depth in the barrel from reproduction to original. If so please give your results in measuring. Thanks
PS Your Colt looks brand new, nice find!!

Last edited:
Doesn't really make much difference in the result or fix, but has anybody ever measured the length of the arbor on a Colt reproduction vs the original. And then compared the arbor hole depth in the barrel from reproduction to original. If so please give your results in measuring. Thanks
That would be interesting to compare to originals. I have a pair of 1851s, one made here and the other in London. I would think also the cylinder length should be measured as well?

I do appreciate the offer and the obvious spirit in which it was given, but will take this opportunity to decline. Like the other 1851 Navies that have found their way here, they've found a home... like Golden Labrador puppies, they're just too lovable, and knowing their ultimult grace and style, ensures welcome. Whether short arbor or not, it still needs a Manhattan Conversion & coil hand spring to make the necessary modifications to make it's design perfect... and suitable for competition. Of course, this is just one man's opinion. Other's are welcome to theirs. No internet debates invited.

Tho' I have to admit that the Belt Model of 1851 is only surpassed by the Paterson for it's beauty...Which shows the lack of foresight by Colt for not having produced a re-issue of that firearm.

And yes, 45D, I will fix the short arbor... as I've begun to do on it's brothers.
I think the paterson is the ugliest handgun ever made. some people think differently

Latest posts

Back