• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wrong side, wrong gun powderhorn accident!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I heard a disturbing story told to me by a close friend about what happened to a mutual acquaintance this summer.

T.F. is a right handed shooter. He was carrying his powderhorn on his right side. He was shooting a LEFT handed flintlock long gun. When discharging the weapon a spark managed to find its way down into his powderhorn causing it to explode.

The explosion severely burned T.F. and set him on fire. There were several others at the range who put him out encluding a paramedic. He was rushed to the nearest hospital where he received treatment. T.F. is now recoving fine.

I too shoot right handed with my shooting pouch and powderhorn on the right side. But after hearing this story I am moving it all to my left side. It would seem natural to pour with your left hand into a measure you holding in your right hand. Then with the extra dexterity and control of your right hand dump the charge into the barrel.

If you care to share your thoughts, what is your take on the story and carrying your horn on the oppisite side of your shooting arm?

Joe

I've seen it done both ways. I carry my bag and horn on the right side and I shoot right handed. The advantage to me is that I carry tools and other gun related foofaraw in my shooting pouch that is easier to get out with my dominant right hand than my left hand.

I try to do everything as authentic as I can with one exception. I do not use a wooden plug on my horns. I have fitted them with spring operated metal stoppers so I don't have to worry about forgetting to put the plug back in the horn when loading.

Many Klatch

Joe Yanta said:
"...When discharging the weapon a spark managed to find its way down into his powderhorn causing it to explode..."

Joe, I am in no way challenging "you" because you're simply relaying a story you heard.

The simple question I have is how could that possibly have happened?

Maybe his plug was out and the horn was streaming powder down to the ground?

I have always put the horn on the left and the bag on the right and I shoot right handed. To me it balances the load, and I use my right hand to hold the powder measure.

Why wasn't the horn plugged? I shoot right handed and cary my horn and bag on the right side. My reasoning for that is to have a clear shoulder to rest the butt of the gun against thus producing a consistent sight plane.

This opens a can of worms....

I shoot right handed, carry my bag and horn on the right side.
I hold my measure in left hand, pour powder with the right and then right hand takes the measure from the left hand and puts it down the barrel.

Left side packs the "man purse" with all the extras that dont need to be in the shooting bag.

I'm right handed. I carry my horn on the right. I need the dexterity of my right hand to control the pouring of powder. After re-plugging my horn I swing it slightly behind me. I don't think there's a chance of spark getting on or in it.

I assume your friend didn't have his horn plugged when it blew up?

HD

It doesn't really make any diference where you carry the horn. If you leave the plug out and get a spark down the hole, its gonna go bang. Common sense attention to your equipment is a requirement. If your not pouring, PLUG IT!!!

"It doesn't really make any diference where you carry the horn. If you leave the plug out and get a spark down the hole, its gonna go bang. Common sense attention to your equipment is a requirement. If your not pouring, PLUG IT!!!"

I don't think there could be anything more or better said than the above. :thumbsup:

"Left side packs the "man purse" with all the extras that dont need to be in the shooting bag"

Brett.. is that purse a Prada? .....all the Mt. Men from St. Louis are wearing Prada this fall, one can barely feel the purse hang off ones arm, so light yet more than ample accomadation for all of ones everyday needs, oh! these are to die for, absolutely trend setting for the upcomming season :grin:

I suppose that's possible. I've heard of shooters ramming the PRB down so hard and fast that it ignited the charge due to 'diesel effect' ala fire piston.
you just can't take nothing fer granted with these things. particular if you're told 'it's not loaded'!
myself I use a brass flask that I carry in a jacket pocket with my other stuff in a canvas belt bag.

I hope I get a chance to talk to T.F. at "Trapper Days" rendezvous next month. Let me say that T.F. is a true student. He is extremely knowledgable of history and of arms. T.F does excellent lock work. His craftsmanship in building guns is superb. I am only speculating, but I agree that the plug had to not been in place at the time of the accident. Also at the speed in which powder burns I rule out that it could have been burning powder.

I have two theories. One, is that perhaps there was a piece of debris such as lent, fluff or even a splinter of wood in or near the pan that caught a spark and was propelled inward and down. Again this was a left handed flintlock being fired from the right hand.

It could have been a spark from the frizzen that traveled the path.

Your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Joe

"It could have been a spark from the frizzen that traveled the path."

A very good possibility, when testing locks in a dark room I have had sparks nearly hit the floor using some of the big sparky locks using 7/8" or bigger flints. One simply cannot have exposed BP anywhere near ones person when putting the flint to the steel.

i am like most here; i shoot right and carry everything right side.
my loading modus operendi is to pull my horn plug with my teeth. once powder is poured i cant help but plug it up again. it just works for me, and cuts down on loading steps, as i have seen guys fumble with horn stoppers on leashes.
:v

An interesting situation. I never thought about that but I suppose there exists some remote chance the plug may not have been put back in correctly and fell out and a spark got into the horn. On that basis there may be some remote added safely for carrying the horn on the other side. Artwork seems to indicate both methods are pc. :hmm:

roundball said:
Joe Yanta said:
"...When discharging the weapon a spark managed to find its way down into his powderhorn causing it to explode..."

Joe, I am in no way challenging "you" because you're simply relaying a story you heard.

The simple question I have is how could that possibly have happened?

Maybe his plug was out and the horn was streaming powder down to the ground?

I agree. There is so much more to this story than "it exploded".

I doubt that whether the gun was "left handed" or where he carried the horn had anything to do with the cause of the accident. It sounds like human error.

I asm still not sure how this happened? The LH flintlock would send flame or sparks to the LEFT side of his body, and gun, NOT to the right side where the powder horn was located.

Are you sure he wasn't carrying the powder horn on his Left side? At least that would explain a shorter distance from pan to horn. It might also suggest what others believe occurred, and that is that he failed to put the stopper back into the horn before firing the rifle. Most of us are not dexterous enough to do that kind of thing with our non-dominant hands. IF the horn was on his Left side, he might not have put the stopper in the horn because he couldn't do it left handed!

If he really did have the horn on his right side, How did flame or sparks get around the body of that LH rifle? It does represent a very PHYSICAL barrier to this happening.

And, the guys are right: The plug must not have been in the horn. The lifespan of any spark is measured in seconds, and anytime it is in the air, falling, it is cooling down, and burning up faster. There is no way that any flame or spark is going to set off a "CLOSED " powder horn. There is just not enough fuel present, or time to heat up the horn hot enough to cause the powder inside to burn, UNLESS THE PLUG WAS NOT IN THE HORN.

Even then, such an explosion would be the equivalence of a NON-golfer, stepping up to the first Tee, and hitting a Hole-in-one. The odds would be uncalculable. :hmm:

I am glad that your friend's friend is recovering from his injuries. :thumbsup:

-----I see a lot of guys that pour from the can into a measure and don't cap the can---I TELL THEM ABOUT IT TOO-----

Some excellent points. The inition event in and around the pan could have caught part of his clothing on fire. And in a moment of confusion and panic reaction, jerky body movement could have thrown powder from an unplugged horn into the burning clothes. In other words the fire could have caused the explosion instead of the explosion causing the fire.

Good comments.

Joe

Back