• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner CNC Incised Carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
I would like y'all's opinions on the new option on Kibler's Woodsrunner, the fully CNC Incised carving.
Has anyone bought it? What do you think?

I would like y'all's opinions on the new option on Kibler's Woodsrunner, the fully CNC Incised carving.
Has anyone bought it? What do you think?
I bought the fully carved. I like the engraving but if I were to do over I would skip.

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_142742386.jpg
    IMG_20240420_142742386.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
With that style of rifle I think they look better with no or very little carving and a plain maple stock but of course each to their own.
I agree 100%. I loved building the rifle and it shoot's perfect and is very accurate. But less carving would be nice. My friend bought the same rifle with no carving and carving on his would distract from the wood pattern.

I admire the incised carving on the Kiblers. personally i like relief carving and wish someone would create transfer patterns that one could use to outline. being i couldn't draw a decent stick figure, i would find that invaluable. i can carve if it is drawn out for me, but i am beyond challenged to do it myself.

You see no difference between a production piece and an individually created work of art?
Looking at it on a screen, without having it in hand and examining for whether it has machining tool marks or chisel trail I can quickly recognize that work to be Jim's.

Im familiar with his work up close and from every picture i see on thr net It looks to me exactly like Jim Kibler carved it by hand.
Really?
Ok here’s the test: Which stock did Jim Kibler carve by hand?
Look closely now 😉

Attachments

• IMG_2221.jpeg
    IMG_2221.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 0
I admire the incised carving on the Kiblers. personally i like relief carving and wish someone would create transfer patterns that one could use to outline. being i couldn't draw a decent stick figure, i would find that invaluable. i can carve if it is drawn out for me, but i am beyond challenged to do it myself.
Same here. So I started practicing. All you need is a pencil and paper. You get the hang of it after a little while. I can even do decent engraving designs now.

I believe that it's a up price to a already spendy cookie cutter kit, now before the hate mail starts yes Jim makes a fine built Kit in a given style just like all other kit manufacturers. his just have tighter tolerances that require less skill to assemble. he also is in a nitch that other manufactures haven't chose to produce, just like he has chosen not to get into the percussion era rifles ie: what ever hawken-esk variation you might want

You guys should do better to educate yourself. Study original work. When comparing the carving you are comparing apples and oranges. Relief carving is a complete different animal from incised carving.

You don't of course have to like this or our kits in general, but I do appreciate well informed opinions.

As to kits being "cookie cutter" you are right in some ways. They are very much the same. But... There are big benefits from this. You get a gun that is better than probably 99% of any custom gun made. Better in terms of historical correctness, design, style, aesthetics, precision, functionality etc. This at a price that is just a bit above the price of parts if bought individually. Plus someone who doesn't have skills to make a gun from a blank can be part of the project and it can be part of themselves. They rightfully feel proud and enjoy the process.

It's interesting that most who are well informed and respected in this community, understand this and don't tend to make these simple narrow minded assessments. There is a place for all approaches...

Back