• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden shipping box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen members say in their posts that they would ship a gun in a wooden crate. For those members that do this, do you buy them or make them? If you buy them, from where? If you make them, what material and how thick? Any plans from a website? Thanks.

I have received completed guns in the crate Kibler sent the kit in, very nice that it also fits the completed gun. I have also received a long rifle in a loooonnnggg cardboard box sourced from a window blind manufacturer. It was very well packed and arrived fine. If I was to do it I would use some 1X (3/4") material and 1/4" plywood with screws, it would look suspiciously like a Kibler crate when done. Our own Bob McBride did a Youtube video of a crate he made. How to ship your muzzleloader with Bob McBride from Black Powder TV — The NMLRA

Just make sure you don't end up with a leg-shaped lamp, in a box marked "Fragile". ; ) Two things from watching Bob's video again. I would put some paperwork INSIDE the crate, just cause, belt and suspenders. Also, I don't know about the duct tape but I might hit the edges with a little sandpaper to remove any hanging finger biting bits.

Last edited:
Had my Fowler built and returned to me in a custom built box.
1"by 4" frame, maybe 6' long by maybe 15" wide, plastic sheet on the bottom sprayed with "spray in" foam insulation, covered again with plastic sheet, gun laid in and covered again with plastic sheet, sprayed again with the "spray in" foam insulation.
Gun wasn't going anywhere!! Cardboard box cut and slipped over the wood frame, another cardboard box over the other end that met in the middle. Took about 10 minutes to even get it open. Gun didn't go anywhere, not a mark on it OR the box.
Sold it to a guy back East, shipped it again in the box. He got it with no marks on the box OR the gun. All from USPS Priority Mail Insured. Cost about $100.00 + to ship but well worth the cost. :thumb:

In the past when shipping rifles I've used 1x4 or 1x6 pine for the edges and 1/2" plywood for the sides, 3/4" styrofoam on each side inside, bag the rifle and as Nor Cal Mikie described, fill the box with spray foam. I've never had a problem other than people complaining of overkill. Often what I'm shipping is original rifles where the cost of overkill in shipping is not an issue . . .but yeah, shipping, insurance, etc will often go well over $100.

The crate I received from Kibler was (IIRC) masonite sides on a plywood frame--and broken in on one end where the end got pushed in (because screws going into voids in the edge of plywood have little strength). Because of the superb way Kibler had the parts braced and attached inside the box, there was no damage or parts loss. The next time I ship a rifle, I'm going to copy some of the blocking Kibler used, in addition to my usual overkill.

Back