• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood burning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcmonigal

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello,

Was there any wood burning done on original flintlocks during the mid to late 18th century?

thank you!

I hadn't either, but I figured people on here have seen a LOT more than I have.

Thank you very much!

No, Burnt wood or branding on gun stocks was not voge at the time
It seems to have been most popular during the 1970's along with decoupage

necchi said:
No, Burnt wood or branding on gun stocks was not voge at the time
It seems to have been most popular during the 1970's along with decoupage

..and macramae :rotf:

No, seriously, I've seen some Indian guns that were branded with a hot file and at least one that had some scrawling done with hot nail or something.

John Schippers in his new book "Engraving Historical Firearms" details how he uses it to make fancy looking cuts in what was the 18th century version of wrist checkering, Basically, he takes a piece of steel and files it to the shape he wants (in the book it's a cross) and then uses it over and over again in the pattern. His pictures don't seem to show any evidence of charring, so he must remove that somehow. If I were to try it, it's definitely something I would want to practice with first!

I forgot to mention that a lot of ram rods were "candle burned" to put the spiral candy stripes in them too.

Col. Batguano said:
I forgot to mention that a lot of ram rods were "candle burned" to put the spiral candy stripes in them too.
What time period was that?

That the old makers used burning rope or other materials to create artifical curl on mape seems to be an old wives tale. I have examined several original Leman's, they showed no sign of charing or burning.

Nope. I don't have any documentation on that, and it is pure speculation. I might have seen it in older originals that have had their rods replaced, so take the comment as proffered, and baseless. But fire was known then, so it's entirely possible it was done by somebody some time.

Back