• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wire inlays in brass and sterling tarnishing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt LaManna

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a very nice Jaeger with wire inlays of sterling silver and brass, that have discolored to dark grey. I took some 0000 grade steel wool, and removed the tarnish. But, this steel wool removed all of the lacquer covering the wire and the surrounding surface of the stock! Should I refinish with TruOil or another lacquer material, or just steel wool away the remaining finish and just use anothe Oil based finish, such as Linseed or Tung oil? I've never been fond of a shiny finish on stocks, so I'm not opposed to this option.
Thank you!

I was unaware that TruOil was a lacquer finish. having said that, I would give a small spot a try and see if you like the result.

(I'm putting some truOil on a walnut stock with a ton of figure on it ... just using the barrel channel as a test bed but I think it's going to be pretty nice looking when it's done)

one guy's opinion ... free and no doubt well worth the cost!

Hi AZ,
Can you post some pictures so we can see the original finish on the gun? I doubt it is a lacquer, more likely some sort of oil-based varnish or a synthetic like permalyn, but a photo will help. Tru-Oil is polymerized linseed oil and may be fine but test it under the buttplate or somewhere hidden first. With respect to polishing the wire, properly done wire inlay will stand slightly proud of the wood surface making cleaning easy. Just rub it hard with a coarse cloth like canvas, not steel wool. If it is very tarnished, buy some Simichrome polish (Simichrome and only Simichrome, not Brasso or any other). Jewelry makers suppliers like Rio Grande (www.riogrande.com) carry it. Place a very, very small amount on a soft cloth (the cloth should be almost dry), rub it into the cloth, and then rub the wire and inlays until polished. Doing that will not hurt the wood finish.

dave

Thank you, Dave. It's been so long since I've posted pics here, I've forgotten how to do it. I'll read up to remind me and post pics of the rifle, once I get reacquainted.

I cringed when I read the steel wool bit. :shocked2:
We all love beautiful rifles. I have a couple special ones. But, it is my choice to rarely ever polish the brass or silver on them. Mine are users. When time comes to retire, I will polish and wax to keep pretty for display. Polishing will wear down the metal and can, literally, erase any engraving. What was said about Simichrome is excellent advice. One tube will last you years and years. Use very sparingly.
BTW, beautiful rifle.

Back