• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will a flintlock stop a bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RickD said:
Excuse me but below you clearly state you didnt ask how they were taken but now say you do know how and it was legal..You really need to stick to one story..Also you say the bears were hunted
RickD Said:These are your words "just because it aint legal dont mean they didnt hunt it! like i said, i brought grizz claws home with me "..Looks to me like your saying the bears were poached and the claws removed and now you have the claws..Seems a tad illegal to me..Also on the eagle feathers I do hope you have the paper work for them

i never said they were poached, and no i dint ask the circumstances under which they were taken. and yes i have my paper work for my Shoshone back ground

Edited by karwelis on 05-17-10 12:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

once again you are picking the parts that are convenient for you. you missed the Native American bit. and yes my friends back there are. so did you have fun trying to beat me around the head again with the legal bull#%$^?

"From the Lewis and Clark journals,it can be seen that even they concluded that a head shot was the only way to bring a grizzly to a timely end. Still it is no wonder that a well equipped mountain man carried pistol(s) and a big knife in case further negotiation might be required."

Here is another head shot bear:
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=45973

This bear was shot by a good friend of mine here in Fort Yukon, at a range of a few yards, coming at him. It was stopped by a 55 grain soft point out of a .223 to the head. The incident was fully investigated by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was suggested to me in Alaska that should I need to shoot one, shoot it in the head, then shoot its legs or such after that.

Their heads are not bullet proof. Natives up there in the bush were carrying 30-30's all the time and felt confident they could defend themselves. I liked my 45-70 though. I won't mess around with grizzly bears.

karwelis said:
oh yeah that looked like a girzz,,,,,,,,,NOT

He never said it was a Grizz and I believe he knows the difference. It obviously was a small Polar bear and from what I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong but a full grown polar bear is considered more dangerous than a Grizzly bear.

Swampy said:
,,, and please correct me if I'm wrong but a full grown polar bear is considered more dangerous than a Grizzly bear.
Correct. They are the only bear (I believe) that lives on a strict diet of meat. :thumbsup:

Polar bear also are known for tracking, hunting and then killing the humans they have tracked. To my knowledge the only bear that does that.

Roklok, They don't say that the "AR15" was chambered in .223. Assuming it was, what kind of person would go out looking for a grizzly bear with a .223. I don't care if he had a twenty round magazine.
As powerful as they are, those rounds are notorious for ricoshaying off surfaces far less dense than the hide and skull of a bears pate,,,, like a leaf. I've seen them first hand.
I'd say the fellow was very lucky that the angle of the skull was such that the impact of the round was not deflected. His claim is that it was a shot from the hip, so it was luck indeed.
I guess it gives credence to the old saw, "The good Lord protects drunks and fools"!
Robby

I agree, that would be one of the last rounds I'd want to use. Also, I find it suspect....

I love the .338 and would not hesitate to use that, however that bear wasn't very big, obviously a young one.

The man that shot the polar bear is a good friend of mine, in fact, I helped him build that particular AR-15 from a parts kit. It is indeed a .223, and he was using 55 grain soft points. Just wanted to clarify that. I know on the beartooth forums, there was discussion as to which caliber the rifle was. It is a .223 or 5.56. He uses that rifle for everything, and no it certainly would not be my choice for going in the brush after a bear. I was actually involved in the shooting investigation with the Fish and Wildlife Service.

roklok said:
" It was stopped by a 55 grain soft point out of a .223 to the head. The incident was fully investigated by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

The story says that he intentionally went after the bear with that calibur....Not sure Id claim someone with an IQ that low as a "good friend". Thats just somewhere bewteen UN-Ethical and Stupid. Not a fan either way.
I ditched a potential hunting partner yeras ago for losing a deer with a .223, Didnt THINK it was adequate/ethical before he shot...KNEW it wasnt after.

I traded an M14-.308 for a M16-.223 while in Vietnam. (not my idea) The .223 didn't give me the people stopping power of the .308. Dead is dead but sooner is better than later. Same thing with a bear charge dead sooner beats the heck out of later :shocked2: Larry

roklok said:
The man that shot the polar bear is a good friend of mine, in fact, I helped him build that particular AR-15 from a parts kit. It is indeed a .223, and he was using 55 grain soft points. Just wanted to clarify that. I know on the beartooth forums, there was discussion as to which caliber the rifle was. It is a .223 or 5.56. He uses that rifle for everything, and no it certainly would not be my choice for going in the brush after a bear. I was actually involved in the shooting investigation with the Fish and Wildlife Service.

Heh heh!
The Natives on the north slope used to use a lot of small HV stuff out on the ice for seals and whatever else comes along, 22-250 is/was popular I have been told.
A few years back 5-6 maybe, some guy killed a Gbear on the Russian River while fishing salmon with a 9mm handgun. Range was feet. F&G cleared it as a good shooting. Doubt he shot the bear in the chest with a 9mm. Why the 9mm? Its what he had.
I once shot a big beaver in a trap with a 22 CB cap from a 4" revolver. It simply made a white spot between the eyes. The next chamber had a LR in it and these don't bounce off beaver skulls.

But we are confusing some here with things that really happened rather than theory and stories from Field and Stream.
Head shots are all about the angles. If the shooter screws up the shot, angle is wrong, its possible to have "problems".

The first time I lived in AK back about 1976 some idiot broadside chest shot a Brown Bear at the Knik River RR bridge with a 357. Bear ran down the right of way about 50 yards and dropped dead. The shooter was about 50 yards from the bear out on the bridge when he fired. Idiot probably panicked when he saw the bear. All I know is what made the newspaper really.
I do know that even on a kill floor hot loaded 158 gr 357 HPs will not reliably kill buffalo fired from a 6.5" barrel with headshots. I suspect a hard cast SWC would be better but didn't have any. If the angle is not perfect there are problems. 10MM works better according to the guy with the 357 (my son). But the bison has a *much* harder head than the bears do.
Years ago a friend of mine in Wis. used to use #4 buck from a full choke gun to whack problem black bears at close range. Said the buckshot from a full choke just cut about a 1" hole in the bears skull.
Its in the angles.
I think I related a friend of mine who killed a bear in the mountains around Ft Rich/Anc with a Colt Woodsman. Said he was shooting for the mouth and hit the eye. Why a 22 pistol? Its what he had with him and he ran afoul a sow with cubs.

I do not consider the head shot to be the best option for shooting a big bear. But if one has a close encounter of the worst kind chances of stopping the bear at close range with anything but a headshot is remote. If I had time I would likely shoot in the chest (situational decision) if I had something with decent power. But sometimes things fail to go as planned.
With this thought and the bears killed with headshots, in mind it is impossible to dismiss the head shot. It works remarkably well with a wide array of firearms if used right. Sometimes its the last resort/only option.

Dan

I'm a big fan of hardened WFN heavy bullets in the .357, .45 Colt and 45-70 but thats another story.

Something that hasn't really been talked about, I wonder just how many times a charge has been stopped and the bear walk off shaking his head. We've been talking about killing shots to the head but surely some that were not must have made the bear think twice getting slammed hard like that or does getting hit with a sledge hammer just piss them off more?

Maybe like any animal once enraged the grizzly doesnt really feel the pain till after its attacked..Getting wacked in the head with a piece of lead has to hurt even if it does bounce off from a bad shot..I think in some cases the bear might stop and in others it wont..

Please keep modern cartridge firearms out of the stories and discussions.
The topic is about flintlocks and bears (not necessarily Grisly Bears).

Question: can you stop a grizzly with a flintlock? :idunno: I've looked into this at the library and apparently you CAN make a citizen's arrest due to the fact that a grizzly can't legally carry a flintlock. :thumbsup:

Back