• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will a flintlock stop a bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My one close encounter with a big Bear showed that the particular Bear prefered a half gallon of fresh Huckleberries over chasing down a very fast running meal of meat.I would like to try a big Bear with a flinter under a controlled situation but it is not high on my list, as the years go by I have less interest in huting Bears/Cats and other game that are not particullarly what most consider eating meat animals,I have ate Bear meat a few times and not found it to be one of my favorires Beaver is much tastier to me, I guess the "trophy" hunt idea is pretty much a thing of little interest to me.

I agree with those sentiments. It seems the more I get to know so-called trophy hunters the more I see ego and arrogance and not a lot of admirable substance. But as the original post stated you are out hunting deer meat and a bear charges you (ie you are NOT hunting it) do you think you will stop it? I know that if I shoved a 54 cal round ball up the nostril of a bear at 2 to 10 yards it will see stars and won't be up for eating me.

you know i just got back from cody wyoming, and while i was there i talked to several hunters and the general consensus was, DO NOT SHOOT A GRIZZ IN THE HEAD! NO MATTER WHAT THE GUN! and i saw there grizz pelts, even was given grizz claws. btw grizz meat is tastey. i also got the horror stories of hunters that tried to shoot a grizz in the head. all the info i got was first hand from the hunters that go after grizz, so if you think your super duper 5000 what ever rifle will pierce the head of a grizz, well good luck with that! i know a bunch of people that are gonna laugh at the funeral

Guess they will laugh at me :( I would shoot one in the head with a .54 maxi. Don't want to :shocked2: But would over another shot if I was charged. :v Larry

karwelis said:
you know i just got back from cody wyoming, and while i was there i talked to several hunters and the general consensus was, DO NOT SHOOT A GRIZZ IN THE HEAD! NO MATTER WHAT THE GUN! and i saw there grizz pelts, even was given grizz claws. btw grizz meat is tastey. i also got the horror stories of hunters that tried to shoot a grizz in the head. all the info i got was first hand from the hunters that go after grizz, so if you think your super duper 5000 what ever rifle will pierce the head of a grizz, well good luck with that! i know a bunch of people that are gonna laugh at the funeral

Um, I live in/near Cody. You can't legally shoot "grizz" here so I hope they ain't going after too many :rotf: This whole thing has been fairly hilarious.

Barney said:
Um, I live in/near Cody. You can't legally shoot "grizz" here so I hope they ain't going after too many :rotf: This whole thing has been fairly hilarious.
well good! then you know how bad it is in Wapiti. thats where my friends are

My son goes to Wapiti School....the one with the bear fence. Your friends surely ain't hunting grizz, and skinning them.

No plot, really. I do know a few things though.

You can't hunt griz in the lower 48, anywhere, that I know of.

Not all griz want to kill you (just 7 out of 10) I've been closer than 10 yards a couple times and one could care less, the other I wasn't sure of.

We do get a few charges every year but most are bluff charges. The last 2 killed in an attack, one with a bow, the other a .41 mag. and both fellers got a little bloody.

They aren't invincible but they are a bit tuff to say the least. I wouldn't hesitate to take a headshot with my 45/70 w/hardcast. Low in the head hoping to go clear through.

So, that griz you ate, did it taste like chicken? Cause you can eat chicken here, just mighty spendy to eat griz :rotf:

Well, if you say.... Uh, Craig Sax is a name to look for. Local G&F wizard. It's amazing what he can prove in court. Not a bad guy really.

So in short your saying you condone illegal hunting??I mean you do have grizzly claws right..

Pretty sure it's federal charges just to have the claws, If, of course the DNA tests can prove it.

Prove they came from the lower 48, I mean. There is some interest I'd have to say.

Kind of like illegal possession of eagle feathers, $100,000 and a year.

Barney said:
Pretty sure it's federal charges just to have the claws, If, of course the DNA tests can prove it.
you dont need dna, i mean duh! the size alone well tell you.
RickD said:
So in short your saying you condone illegal hunting??I mean you do have grizzly claws right..
and no i dont condone illegal hunting, but if one charges me, hes dead! and yes i would sking him and eat him. and as barney has said,,,the school in wapiti has a bear fence, damned place looks like Auschwitz!

Barney said:
Prove they came from the lower 48, I mean. There is some interest I'd have to say.

Kind of like illegal possession of eagle feathers, $100,000 and a year.
and as a member of the Shoshone tribe i can and do own eagle feathers

These are your words "just because it aint legal dont mean they didnt hunt it! like i said, i brought grizz claws home with me "..Looks to me like your saying the bears were poached and the claws removed and now you have the claws..Seems a tad illegal to me..Also on the eagle feathers I do hope you have the paper work for them

Back