• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild Hogs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slide on down 65 to Alabama. We gots dem hawgs. We don't have them as bad as south Alabama, but there are a few up here in the north. You want something to wipe out your turkey and deer populations, Hawgs'll do it real quick. They're a real sport to hunt and will teach you quick how to hunt the wind. I think it was in Mobile, Al where a young man shot the new Hawgzilla, that thing produced around 700lbs of sausage. Took the old boy around 9 shots and a 3 hour tramp to get him. Ya'll may have to verify some of that by looking it up, I read so much anymore I may have the town wrong, but I think it was Mobile. Its pretty cheap living for a hunting trip here compared to other places. So, come on down, we'll ease your pain. :grin:

I shot One in southern Ohio with my 50 cal. Thompson Center Hawkens. I used 100 gr of triple seven, a 490. round ball. and .010 patch. The hog was 250lbs ( approx.) Just aim for the lungs..or head if your confident enough. GREAT table fair!

I took this pic. in Greenswamp WMA in Fl. Just a small example of what hog root'n will do.

rootin.jpg

That's a quality example of what those beasts can do..now multiply that by about 10..and whats what I saw in southern Ohio.. almost 2 acres i would guess was like that...well maybe not that bad, But there was still aplenty of damage. The one I shot was 250 or so pounds. It was great tasting, almost sweet flavored meat. The sausage was also tasty.I will be hunting them again in the spring...

Hoyt said:
I took this pic. in Greenswamp WMA in Fl. Just a small example of what hog root'n will do.

rootin.jpg

I just got back from Green Swamp West WMA for their Hog Dog hunt. They killed 180 something in 3 days and I doubt they made dent in the population. That place is covered up in pigs. I bet there's spots in there where pigs die of old age.

The WMA manager told me that when they first did the dog hunt they kill 1780 pigs in 3 days of hunting and couldn't tell a difference in the population. That's how quick they multiply. One of the biologist types from FWC said that if unhunted they'll double their population roughly every 9 months.

I've hunted Greenswamp West (mostly hunted across the hwy in Greenswamp East) and could never figure out why they limit the hog hunters to so few roads to access. Looks like if they want to get rid of the hogs so bad they would make it easier to get to them.

Doesn't bother me.

Next year I'm showing with the canoe and going up the river that goes through the middle. From what it looked like this year I'll have the whole western 1/4 of the WMA to myself.

Back