• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why this muzzleloader regulations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the regulation in your first post, I read that as no buckshot for the rifles i.e. muzzleloading rifles and modern muzzleloading inlines, your primitive shotgun is still a shotgun, so I would take that as legal for buckshot use, when hunting during the shotgun season.
That's What I was thinking... I would have to call and ask before going of course.

I have to look into the overlapping seasons to.... maybe want birds shot in that barrel and ball in the other.

Oh well no no.. no shooting those rabbit during deer season lol.. 😢

That's the next mission... Ill make a post when I get it.. I talked the wife into a beagle 🥳 ...

As long as I don't spend 3 grand on one.

Last edited:
You know.. my guns no good..

It's double barrel.. like two shots is no good but you can have 5 in an auto..

Buckshot no no no... why.. why Noo buck and or buck n ball for the muzzleloader..

A modern Shotgun they can use buck all season..
I suppose primitive season have tight gun restrictions like a single barrel because they want to limit hunters to "primitive" weapons that shoot only once per loading. To hunt with a double barrel would allow hunters that 2nd chance. I liked that season better when only sidelocks were legal and no scopes allowed. O

I suppose primitive season have tight gun restrictions like a single barrel because they want to limit hunters to "primitive" weapons that shoot only once per loading. To hunt with a double barrel would allow hunters that 2nd chance. I liked that season better when only sidelocks were legal and no scopes allowed. O
I'm kinda ok with..

Primitive means Primitive seasons..

Basically no inline.. no .209...no sabot...

Here they kinda want bow... they added to that season..

It would be cool. If they did 2 weeks.. late.. January.. for. Primitive Primitive

Goes to show that Orgs. like NWTF walk hand in hand with Liberal Democrats. NWTF no soup for you at least from me....
Yeah, having to put a sticker on your shotgun, what an imposition. 😜. I mean like the OP says, regulations these days are incredibly complex and I personally have had my hunt ruined because I purchased the wrong stamp by accident, but if this keeps the antis in check, then good.

Read the book every year...

Like Pheasant stocked lands is sunrise.sunset... everywhere else is the 1/2 before and 1/2 after.

They used to end archery a day early before gun.. so that day was gray you think one season ends the new begins..

Zones... rules per zone..

We have deer.. they could hand out a doe permit good for more than one zone.. but they cut it up worse than pizza.. be nice to buy a state doe tag.. I don't like being stuck in the one zone I pick.

Fishing is worse I think...

We were searched the whole house ounce.. my grandfather new they did that.. he had every limit counted and dated. And separated my fish his fish.. they just show up and it's a raid...

we were legal..

He welcomed them In too lol. he was like I know you watch me. I've been waiting for you...

Hunting a controlled hunt..

They had a new to the area coyote. They wanted them there it was a big deal..

Even though the book said OK...

They told everyone don't shoot coyote.. do not... they told everyone in our suburban one by one that and if we understood.. yup.

I wasn't far from the guy who shot the coyote..

Oh man.. it was an army of wardens. And they new right away who where and all.. kinda very scary.

Not to add to it.

A hunter Ed covers a bit of everything.. I've taken it 4 times. You know so friends don't go alone.

The youth need to take a turkey class to hunt.. that's OK it's free you know..

I would take the free classes and throw that free sticker away.

I'm don't see why it's not OK for online classes either..

You can't use online hunter Ed here.

I think It might be better.. but I would have to try it 🤔 usually online you have to do it. Read it. Answer questions.. like you have to work a little more.

Yeah, having to put a sticker on your shotgun, what an imposition. 😜. I mean like the OP says, regulations these days are incredibly complex and I personally have had my hunt ruined because I purchased the wrong stamp by accident, but if this keeps the antis in check, then good.
It,s apparent that not having it comes with a punishment.

Last edited:
It,s apparent that not having it comes with a punishment.

They could give you a warning out there. For a sticker that would be cool... that's a big maybe...

There always cool once you pass the inspection...

First year in Maine. Hunting alone.

I got pulled by the north woods laws crew set with fake deer setup... I took to long getting out and they plugged the side trail I pulled down.. it was a good hour past dark. I had no flash light...

Anyway finally back at the truck.. I put everything away. Locked the gun in the back..

Driving out... they jump out.

Why am I hunting at night!!!!... I was like blaaaaa no flash light no no no I was just in the dark walking slow... I hunted till sunset but then I was trouble with no light. They said OK..

Out of the truck.. show them my gun unloaded... had to dig it out of the back..

You know I heard allot of shots coming from there.. I was like who's shooting that many deer... what's going on.

I guess everyone who sees that deer.. shoots.

After all that... they calmed right down..👍 I was all stressed out. they asked me to hang out with them. They didn't want to move..I was like aaaaaa yea OK.

Yea I was in trouble out there that night though... I was probably being watched crawling down the trail in the dark..

it's so easy to walk off those trails in the dark...

There were times I was in the trail and thought I was in the woods And then you travel off the trail. Mmmm. crawl back.. pick up the trail again... I was in trouble.

Old friend.. story

His First deer. Didn't tag it before dragging out... the warden took the deer.. he had to go to court... lost license for a year... a fine.. no deer

I had trouble trying to figure out a way to attach that tag..

I put a roll of Electrical Tape in my pack...

Fill out tag and fold it up. place it on the leg and run the tape Around a few times.. it's on there good..

You can drag away..

Electrical Tape!!..

When I first moved to Virginia, I couldn’t hunt during black powder season with my Brown Bess because the law specifically said you had to have a rifle of at least .45 caliber. Now you can use a .40, a smoothbore, a cap-and-ball revolver, or even one of these BS guns that load a stick of powder from the breech and the ball through the muzzle. Pretty sure they would just roll muzzleloader into the general firearms season if they weren’t so happy about getting the extra money out of us for two different licenses. 🤬
Jay

When I first moved to Virginia, I couldn’t hunt during black powder season with my Brown Bess because the law specifically said you had to have a rifle of at least .45 caliber. Now you can use a .40, a smoothbore, a cap-and-ball revolver, or even one of these BS guns that load a stick of powder from the breech and the ball through the muzzle. Pretty sure they would just roll muzzleloader into the general firearms season if they weren’t so happy about getting the extra money out of us for two different licenses. 🤬
Jay

NH.. I bought every year non resident..

Archery. Regular firearms. Muzzloader.. Pheasant.. turkey.. fishing....

Back